I2C Bus Address Translators Resolve Address Conflicts with No Additional Software Coding or I2C Multiplexers
Linear Technology Corporation introduces the LTC4316/LTC4317/LTC4318 family of I2C/SMBus address translators that enable multiple slaves with identical addresses, such as temperature sensors, to individually communicate with the master without conflicts. Address conflicts arise when slaves with the same hardwired address are placed on the same bus. Traditional solutions have used I2C multiplexers or switches to software-select or pin-select the slave that needs addressing. The LTC4316-18 are transparent solutions that replace I2C Muxes and switches. The LTC4316/LTC4317/LTC4318 do not require any software programming or ENABLE control lines, allowing masters to make direct calls to slaves using unique translated addresses that are configured by external resistors.
The address translators provide simple address expansion for both I2C and SMBus systems, as well as voltage level translation for 2.5V, 3.3V and 5V busses. ±4kV HBM ESD, 1V precharging, and glitch filtering of the bus pins make the address translators rugged enough for live board insertion and removal applications. A pass-through mode enables users to temporarily disable address translation and allows for general call addressing by the master. In addition, a stuck bus timer monitors if the SCL line stays low or high for more than 30ms, aborting the address translation and reconnecting the SDAIN to SDAOUT in any stuck bus situations.
The LTC4316 single (1 input/1 output) is available in 10-lead 3mm × 3mm DFN and 10-lead MSOP packages. The LTC4317 “Y” configuration (1 input/2 outputs) is available in a 16-lead 5mm × 3mm DFN package. The LTC4318 dual (2 inputs/2 outputs) is available in a 20-lead 4mm × 4mm QFN package. Offered over the commercial and industrial temperature ranges, pricing for the LTC4316, LTC4317 and LTC4318, starts at $1.45, $1.75 and $1.95 each, respectively, for 1000-piece quantities. For more information, visit www.linear.com/product/LTC4316, www.linear.com/product/LTC4317 and www.linear.com/product/LTC4318.
Summary of Features: LTC4316-18
- Allows Multiple Slaves with the Same Address to Coexist on the Same Bus
- Multiple Channel Options:
- Single (1 Input & 1 Output) (LTC4316)
- "Y" Configuration (1 Input & 2 Outputs) (LTC4317)
- Dual (2 Inputs & 2 Outputs) (LTC4318)
- Resistor Configurable Address Translation
- No Software Programming Required
- Compatible with SMBus, I2C & I2C Fast Mode
- Pass-Through Mode Allows General Call Addressing
- ±4kV HBM ESD Ruggedness
- Level Translation for 2.5V, 3.3V & 5V Buses
- Stuck Bus Timeout
- Prevents SDA & SCL Corruption During Live Board Insertion & Removal
- 10-Lead MSOP or 3mm × 3mm DFN Packages (LTC4316), 16-Lead 5mm × 3mm DFN Package (LTC4317), 20-Lead 4mm × 4mm QFN Package (LTC4318)
Single I2C Address Translator Allows Two Identical Slaves to Receive Different Addresses
The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.
- About Analog Devices
- Analog Devices designs and manufactures semiconductor products and solutions. We enable our customers to interpret the world around us by intelligently bridging the physical and digital with unmatched technologies that sense, measure and connect. Visit http://www.analog.com
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson