A utility to convert between standard units of power measurement and signal strength.
This calculator interconverts between dBm, dBu, dBV, VPEAK and VRMS (ANSI T1.523-2001 definitions). dBm is a power ratio relative to 1mW, dBu and dBV are voltage ratios, relative to 0.775V and 1V, respectively.
To use this calculator enter your application data in the section provided, then enter the quantity you wish to convert in the appropriate form element. Tabbing to another field, pressing "Enter" or clicking "Calculate" will recompute all equivalent values.
Please be aware of the accuracy limits of this calculator. For display purposes, results of calculations are rounded to the nearest 4 decimal places which should exceed the precision of most measurements.
Resources for Amplifiers
- MT-003: Understand SINAD, ENOB, SNR, THD, THD + N, and SFDR so You Don't Get Lost in the Noise Floor (pdf)
- MT-053: Op Amp Distortion: HD, THD, THD + N, IMD, SFDR, MTPR (pdf)
- MT-078: High Frequency Log Amps (pdf)
Resources for RF ICs
- Ask The Engineer - 28 Logarithmic Amplifiers-Explained
- RF Power Calibration Improves Performance of Wireless Transmitters (pdf)
- Software Calibrated, 1MHz to 8GHz, 60 dB RF Power Measurement System Using the AD8318 Logarithmic Detector (CN0150) (pdf)
- RF Source Booklet (pdf)