Features and Benefits
- CCCV, Thermally Regulated Linear Single-Cell Li+ Battery Charger
- No External MOSFET, Reverse-Blocking Diode, or Current-Sense Resistor
- Programmable Fast-Charge Currents (1ARMS max)
- Programmable Top-Off Current Threshold (min)
- Input Overvoltage Protected 4.7V Output (SAFEOUT) from DC
- Input Overvoltage-Protected 4.7V Output (SAFEUSB) from USB
- Proprietary Die Temperature Regulation Control (+115°C)
- 4.25V to 28V Input-Voltage Range with Input Overvoltage Protection Above +7.5V
- Low-Dropout Voltage (300mV at 500mA)
- Input Power-Source Detection Output (Active-Low POK), Charge Status Output (Active-Low CHG), and Charge-Enable Input (Active-Low EN)
- Output for Autobooting (MAX8844Z = ABO, MAX8844Y = Active-Low ABO)
- Lead(Pb)-Free and RoHS Compliant
The MAX8844Z evaluation kit (EV kit) is a fully assembled and tested PCB for evaluating the MAX8844Z/MAX8844Y 28V linear Li+ battery chargers. The MAX8844Z EV kit operates from two power sources (USB or IN) and automatically selects between the two. The IC disables charging if the input sources exceed 7.5V to protect against unqualified or faulty AC adapters.
The MAX8844Z EV kit features two input overvoltage-protected LDO outputs (SAFEOUT, SAFEUSB) for low-voltage-rated USB or charger inputs in the system, and a battery pack detection circuit (DETBAT) that disables the IC when the battery pack is absent. The MAX8844Z EV kit also features an adjustable fast-charge current set by an external resistor (R1) and an adjustable top-off current threshold set by an external resistor (R2).
Other features include an active-low control input (active-low EN) and an active-low input power source detection output (active-low POK). The IC also contains a booting assistant circuit that distinguishes input sources and battery connection, and provides an output signal (MAX8844Z = ABO, MAX8844Y = active-low ABO) for system booting.
To evaluate the MAX8844Y version, sample the MAX8844YETD+ along with the MAX8844ZEVKIT+ and see the Evaluating the MAX8844Y section in the full data sheet.
- Bluetooth® Equipment
- Cellular and Cordless Phones
- Charging Cradles and Docks
- Digital Still Cameras
- MP3 Players
- Smart Phones and PDAs
- USB Appliances