Features and Benefits
- Fault Power-Supply Isolation for 12V Bus
- Eliminates ORing Diode Power Dissipation
- Reverse-Current Detection
- Adjustable Undervoltage Threshold (Configured to 8V)
- Adjustable Overvoltage Threshold (Configured to 13.7V)
- Active-Low FAULT Output Status Indicator
- Adjustable Soft-Start
- Up to 20A of Load Current
- Surface-Mount Construction
- Fully Assembled and Tested
The MAX8535 evaluation (EV) kit circuit demonstrates the functionality of the MAX8535 ORing MOSFET controller that provides redundancy and fault isolation to highly reliable power systems. The MAX8535 EV kit board operates in 12V systems.
During startup, the EV kit monitors the voltage difference between a power supply and a power bus. Once the voltage difference is less than 0.4V, the MAX8535 turns on two ORing MOSFETs, linking the power supply and power bus. Once the MOSFETs are on, the EV kit monitors the load current and voltages to protect against undervoltage (UVP), overvoltage (OVP), and reverse-current fault conditions.
The OVP and UVP thresholds are adjustable and can be disabled. The UVP threshold is set to 8V and the OVP threshold is set to 13.75V. An active-low FAULT signal output is provided for circuit monitoring.
- Network/Telecom Power Supplies
- On-Board Redundant Power Supplies in Blade Servers
- Redundant Power Supplies in High-Availability Systems
- Silver Box Supplies for Servers