Features and Benefits
- Input Voltages
- 9V to 16V
- Output Voltages
- 3.3V Output at 2A (Step-Down DC-DC Converter)
- 2.5V Output at 1.5A (First LDO Regulator)
- 12V Output at 0.100A (Second LDO Regulator)
- Adjustable Outputs
- Configurable Power-Up Sequencing for Outputs
- Adjustable Soft-Start and Foldback Current Limit
- Adjustable Input Power-Fail Circuit
- Switching Frequency Up to 1.4MHz
- Capable of Synchronizing to an External Clock
- Open-Drain POR and PFO Outputs
- Surface-Mount Components
- Fully Assembled and Tested
The MAX8513 evaluation kit (EV kit) demonstrates the MAX8513's standard application circuit. This EV kit operates from 9V to 16V, generating three positive output voltages.
The MAX8513 EV kit includes a voltage-mode synchronous step-down controller and two positive regulator gain blocks. The main synchronous step-down controller provides a 3.3V output with 2A output current. The positive regulator gain blocks use an external n-channel MOSFET pass transistor to generate 2.5V with 1.5A output current from the main 3.3V output, and an external pnp pass transistor to generate 12V with 0.100A output current using a coupled inductor from the step-down converter. The EV kit operates at 1.4MHz switching frequency, allowing the use of ceramic capacitors.
The MAX8513 EV kit can be reconfigured for other input voltage ranges or output voltages by selecting appropriate external components. The EV kit circuit features adjustable soft-start, current-limit, input power-fail detect (PFI), power-on reset (POR), powerfail output (PFO) and configurable power sequencing. Operation up to 1.4MHz allows the use of tiny surface- mount components and improves data rate in DSL applications by reducing noise interference.
- Automotive Dashboard Electronics
- Set-Top Boxes
- Wireless Routers
- xDSL, Cable, ISDN Modems, and Routers