Features and Benefits
- Demonstrates PCI Express-16 Dual Hot-Plug Design
- Independent Output Controls for Each Channel
- 12V at Up to 5.5A (Adjustable)
- 3.3V at Up to 3A (Adjustable)
- 3.3VAux at Up to 0.375A
- Evaluates Hot-Plugging PCI Express x1, x4, x8, or x16 Cards
- Demonstrates Input Inrush-Current Control
- Demonstrates Output Overcurrent/Short-Circuit Protection
- Monitors Input Undervoltage for 12V, 3.3V, and 3.3VAux with Status Reports
- Configurable Power-On Reset (POR)
- Independent On/Off Controls for Channels A/B (12V/3.3V and 3.3VAux)
- Independent +3.3VAux Output with Separate On/Off Control
- Latched Output after Fault Conditions (12V, 3.3V, 3.3VAux)
- Input/Output Interface Using a MAX7313 I/O Expander (SMBus Interface) or Local Control
- Controlled Locally without Software
- Windows 98/2000/XP-Compatible Software
- Surface-Mount Components
- Fully Assembled and Tested
The MAX5946L evaluation kit (EV kit) is a fully assembled and tested surface-mount, dual hot-plug controller circuit board for two PCI Express® hot-plug slots. The circuit uses a MAX5946L IC in a 36-pin thin QFN package. The EV kit provides independent power control for the 12V, 3.3V, and 3.3V auxiliary outputs at two PCI Express-16 connectors. The EV kit demonstrates the MAX5946L IC's inrush current control, output overcurrent/short-circuit protection, and input undervoltage monitoring features.
The MAX5946L IC controls two separate external n-channel MOSFETs for the 12V and 3.3V outputs of each channel, respectively. Additionally, the MAX5946L has two internal MOSFETs that control the 3.3V auxiliary outputs of channels A and B. Switches on the EV kit are provided to independently enable/disable each channels' 12V/3.3V and 3.3V auxiliary supply.
The MAX5946L EV kit can be reconfigured to evaluate an x1, x4, or x8 PCI Express dual hot-plug design. Alternatively, the EV kit can also be used to demonstrate the MAX5946L hot-plug features without using the PCI Express-16 connectors.
The EV kit includes a MAX7313 I/O expander that enables communication through an SMBus™ interface for the MAX5946L signals and some of the PCI Express channel A and B signals. An SMBus interface board (CMODUSB) can be used to enable PC communication through the SMBus interface. Simple Windows® 98/2000/XP-compatible software is provided to access the MAX7313 I/O expander registers at the bit level. The MAX5946L EV kit can be used in local control without any software.
Order the MAX5946LEVCMODU for a complete PC-based evaluation of the MAX5946L. Order the MAX5946LEVKIT if you already have a CMODUSB SMBus interface board or do not require PC-based evaluation of the MAX5946L.
- Desktop/Mobile Server Platforms
- Embedded Devices