Features and Benefits
- Dual-Phase, Fast-Response Interleaved, Quick-PWM
- Intel IMVP-6.5 Code-Set Compliant (Calpella Socket Configuration)
- Dynamic Phase Selection Optimizes Active/Sleep Efficiency
- Transient Phase Overlap Reduces Output Capacitance
- Active Voltage Positioning with Adjustable Gain
- High Speed, Accuracy, and Efficiency
- Low Bulk Output Capacitor Count
- 7V to 24V Input-Voltage Range
- 0 to 1.5000V Output-Voltage Range (7-Bit DAC)
- 60A Peak Load-Current Capability (30A Each Phase)
- Accurate Current Balance and Current Limit
- 300kHz Switching Frequency (per Phase)
- Power-Good (PWRGD) and Phase-Good (PHASEGD) Outputs and Indicators
- Clock Enable (Active-Low CLKEN) and Thermal Fault (Active-Low VRHOT) Outputs and Indicators
- Current Monitor (IMON) Output
- Undervoltage Fault Protections
- 48-Pin Thin QFN Package with an Exposed Pad
- Fully Assembled and Tested
The MAX17582 evaluation kit (EV kit) demonstrates the high-power, dynamically adjustable, multiphase IMVP-6.5 notebook CPU application circuit. This DC-DC converter steps down high-voltage batteries and/or AC adapters, generating a precision, low-voltage CPU core VCC rail. The MAX17582 EV kit meets the Intel mobile IMVP-6.5 CPU's transient voltage specification, power-good signaling, voltage regulator thermal monitoring (active-low VRHOT), and power-good output (PWRGD). The MAX17582 EV kit consists of the MAX17582 2-phase interleaved Quick-PWM™ step-down controller. The MAX17582 EV kit includes active voltage positioning with adjustable gain, reducing power dissipation, and bulk output capacitance requirements. A slew-rate controller allows controlled transitions between VID codes, controlled soft-start and shutdown, and controlled exit suspend voltage. Precision slew-rate control provides "just-in-time" arrival at the new DAC setting, minimizing surge currents to and from the battery.
Two dedicated system inputs (active-low PSI and DPRSLPVR) dynamically select the operating mode and number of active phases, optimizing the overall efficiency during the CPU's active and sleep states.
The MAX17582 includes latched-output undervoltage-fault, overvoltage-fault, and thermal-overload protection. It also includes a voltage regulator power-good (PWRGD) output, a clock enable (active-low CLKEN) output, a current monitor output (IMON), and a phase-good (PHASEGD) output.
This fully assembled and tested circuit board provides a digitally adjustable 0 to 1.5000V output voltage (7-bit on-board DAC) from a 7V to 24V battery input range. Each phase is designed for a 20A thermal design current, and delivers up to 30A peak output current for a total of 60A. The MAX17582 EV kit operates at 300kHz switching frequency (per phase) and has superior line- and load-transient response.
- Blade Servers
- IMVP-6.5 Core Power Supply
- Multiphase CPU Power Supply
- Notebooks/Desktop Computers
- Voltage-Positioned Step-Down Converters
Documentation & Resources
MAX17582EVKIT: Evaluation Kit for the MAX17582 Data Sheet (Rev. 0)12/23/20091M