Features and Benefits
- Dual-Phase, Fast-Response Interleaved, Quick-PWM
- Intel IMVP-6+ Code-Set Compliant (Montevina Socket Configuration)
- Dynamic Phase Selection Optimizes Active/Sleep Efficiency
- Transient Phase Overlap Reduces Output Capacitance
- Active Voltage Positioning with Adjustable Gain
- High Speed, Accuracy, and Efficiency
- Low-Bulk Output Capacitor Count
- 7V to 24V Input-Voltage Range
- 0 to 1.5000V Output-Voltage Range (7-Bit DAC)
- 60A Peak Load-Current Capability (30A Each Phase)
- Accurate Current Balance and Current Limit
- 300kHz Switching Frequency (per Phase)
- Power-Good (PWRGD) and Phase-Good (PHASEGD) Outputs and Indicators
- Clock Enable (Active-Low CLKEN) and Thermal Fault (Active-Low VRHOT) Outputs and Indicators
- Output Overvoltage and Undervoltage Fault Protections
- 40-Pin Thin QFN Package with Exposed Pad
- Lead(Pb)-Free and RoHS Compliant
- Fully Assembled and Tested
The MAX17021 evaluation kit (EV kit) demonstrates the high-power, dynamically adjustable, multiphase IMVP-6.5+ notebook CPU application circuit. This DC-DC converter steps down high-voltage batteries and/or AC adapters, generating a precision, low-voltage CPU core VCC rail. The MAX17021 EV kit meets the Intel mobile IMVP-6+ CPU's transient voltage specification, power-good signaling, voltage regulator thermal monitoring (active-low VRHOT), and power-good output (PWRGD). The MAX17021 kit consists of the MAX17021 2-phase interleaved Quick-PWM™ step-down controller. The MAX17021 kit includes active voltage positioning with adjustable gain, reducing power dissipation and bulk output capacitance requirements. A slew-rate controller allows controlled transitions between VID codes, controlled soft-start and shutdown, and controlled exit suspend voltage. Precision slew-rate control provides "just-in-time" arrival at the new DAC setting, minimizing surge currents to and from the battery.
Two dedicated system inputs (active-low PSI and DPRSLPVR) dynamically select the operating mode and number of active phases, optimizing the overall efficiency during the CPU's active and sleep states.
The MAX17021 includes latched output undervoltage-fault protection, overvoltage-fault protection, and thermal-overload protection. It also includes a voltage regulator power-good (PWRGD) output, a clock enable (active-low CLKEN) output, and a phase-good (PHASEGD) output.
This fully assembled and tested circuit board provides a digitally adjustable 0 to 1.5000V output voltage (7-bit on-board DAC) from a 7V to 24V battery input range. Each phase is designed for a 20A thermal design current, and delivers up to 30A peak output current for a total of 60A. The EV kit operates at 300kHz switching frequency (per phase) and has superior line- and load-transient response.
- Blade Servers
- IMVP-6+/IMVP-6.5 Core Supply
- Multiphase CPU Core Supply
- Notebook/Desktop Computers
- Voltage-Positioned, Step-Down Converters
Documentation & Resources
MAX17021EVKIT: Evaluation Kit for the MAX17021 Data Sheet (Rev. 0)5/25/20101M
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.