Features and Benefits
- Analog/PWM Input Charge-Current Setting
- Up to 1.2MHz Switching Frequency
- Programmable Charge Current Up to 3.5A
- Monitors Input/Outputs
- Analog Input Charge-Current-Setting Voltage
- AC Adapter Input Current
- AC Adapter Presence
- Automatic System Power-Source Selection
- Up to 13.05V (max) Battery Voltage
- 10V to 25V Adapter-Input Operation
- Demonstrates the MAX17006 IC Internal Boost Diode
- Cycle-by-Cycle Current Limit
- Multichemistry Battery Charger
- Lead(Pb)-Free and RoHS Compliant
- Fully Assembled and Tested
The MAX17006 evaluation kit (EV kit) is a complete and fully assembled and tested surface-mount PCB that features the MAX17006 highly integrated, multichemistry battery charger control IC. The MAX17006 EV kit utilizes two single-package n-channel MOSFETs for high-side and low-side switching for the MAX17006 internal synchronous step-down converter, and two n-channel MOSFETs and one p-channel MOSFET for the main power-source selection.
The MAX17006 EV kit is capable of supplying power to a system load while simultaneously charging 2- or 3-cell Li+ battery packs. During normal operation, the EV kit circuit automatically selects the ADAPTER input or the battery as the main power source for supplying power to the system load. If the ADAPTER input is selected as the main source and the EV kit's input-current limit is exceeded, the charge current is reduced automatically to give priority to the system load.
The EV kit's input-source current limit is set to 4A while the maximum battery-charge voltage and charge-current thresholds can be configured up to 13.05V and 3.5A, respectively. The thresholds can be adjusted by using on-board circuitry or by connecting analog signals to the respective test points on the EV kit. A digital output signal (active-low ACOK) indicates the presence of a valid AC adapter voltage at the ADAPTER input source. The MAX17006 EV kit PCB is rated for 0°C to +70°C; however, the MAX17006 IC is rated for -40°C to +85°C.
- Notebook Computers
- Portable Equipment with Rechargeable Batteries
- Tablet PCs