Demonstration circuit DC2846A is a DC/DC synchronous boost converter featuring the LTC7804 (MSE package), a spread spectrum or constant frequency current mode synchronous boost controller. The DC2846A generates a 24V output voltage and provides up to 6A of output current.
The 500kHz constant switching frequency operation results in a small and efficient circuit.
The main features of this board include:
- Wide input voltage range: from 6V to 24V
- Relatively high output power, up to 150W
- Extremely low quiescent current, it’s 15µA at sleep mode and as low as 1µA at shutdown
- Onboard low power bias supply
- Ability to select spread spectrum or fixed frequency
- Pulse-skipping mode, forced continuous operation or low ripple Burst Mode® operation at light loads
- Synchronization with external clock
- If VIN > VOUT, the DC2846A eliminates the usual boost topology losses by keeping the top MOSFET on continuously.
The converter provides high output voltage accuracy (typically ±2%) over a wide load range with no minimum load requirement.
The DC2846A supports two ways of biasing step-up controllers: directly from the input voltage or output rail. The third possibility is connecting voltage source to EXTVCC terminal.
The DC2846A extremely wide switching frequency range from 100kHz to 3MHz. It can be synchronized to the external clock anywhere inside this range. The spread spectrum operation is used for reducing the peak radiated and conducted noise to simplify compliance with electromagnetic interference (EMI) standards.
The DC2846A has small circuit footprint. It is a high performance and cost-effective solution for telecom, automotive and Power over Ethernet applications.