MAXREFDES15 Design Files4/2/2021ZIP771 K
- Bill of Materials
- PCB Layout
The 4–20mA current loop is widely used as an analog communication interface in industrial applications for transmitting the data from remote sensors to a programmable logic controller (PLC) in a central control center over a twisted pair cable. Here, 4mA represents the lowest temperature value, and 20mA represents the highest measured temperature. There are four main advantages of the current loop. First, the accuracy of the signal is not affected by the voltage drop in the loop, as long as the power-supply voltage is greater than the total voltage drop across the loop. Secondly, it uses two wires for power as well as data communication over the entire loop. Thirdly, it is more immune to noise. And lastly, it is offered at a low cost and easy installation.
The Monterey design is based on a complete Maxim solution which combines ultra-low power, high accuracy, and high precision.
- MAX44248 low-noise, zero-drift op amplifier
- MAX11200 high-accuracy, low-power, 24-bit delta-sigma ADC
- MAXQ615 low-power microcontroller
- MAX5216 low-noise, high-accuracy, low-power 16-bit DAC
- MAX9620 low-power op amplifier
- MAX15007, wide Input voltage low-power LDO
This loop-powered sensor transmitter is targeted for industrial sensors, industrial automation, and process control, but it can be used in any application requiring high-accuracy conversion.
Simplicity, reliability, good noise immunity, long distance, and low cost make the Monterey (MAXREFDES15#) (Figure 1) interface well suited for industrial process control and automation of remote objects.
- Ultra-low power -100°C to +100°C interval
- High accuracy
- High precision
- Simple power supply and wide input range
- System current consumption less than 2.1mA
- Resistance temperature detector (RTD) PT1000
- Resolution 10,000 counts or 0.1%
- Accuracy 0.25%
Documentation & Resources
Search our knowledge base for answers to your technical questions. Our dedicated team of Applications Engineers are also available to answer your technical questions.