Features and Benefits
- Filterless, digital input Class-D amplifier
- Serial digital audio interface supports common formats: I2S, left justified, right justified, TDM1-16, and PCM
- 2 channels × 2 W into 4 Ω and 2 channels × 1.4 W into 8 Ω with 1% THD+N, when using a 5 V supply
- I2C control interface or standalone operation
- 91% efficiency at full scale into an 8 Ω load
- 97 dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), A-weighted
- 80 dB power supply rejection ratio (PSRR) at 217 Hz
- Digital volume control: −71.25 dBto +24 dBin 0.375 dBsteps
- Supports a wide range of sample rates from 8 kHz to 96 kHz
- Automatic sample rate detection
- Can operate using 64 × fS BCLK as the MCLK source
- 2.5 V to 5.5 V speaker supply voltage (PVDD)
- 1.62 V to 3.6 V digital supply voltage (DVDD)
- Pop-and-click suppression
- Short-circuit and thermal protection with programmable autorecovery
- Smart power-down when no input signal is detected
- Power-on reset
- Low power modes for performance/power trade-offs
- User selectable ultralow EMI emission mode
- Programmable dynamic range compression (DRC) with noise gate, expander, compressor, and limiter
- Available in two packages
- 16-bump, 2.2 mm × 2.2 mm, 0.5 mm pitch WLCSP
- 20-lead, 4.0 mm × 4.0 mm LFCSP
The SSM2518 is a digital input, Class-D power amplifier that combines a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) and a sigma-delta (Σ-Δ) Class-D modulator. This unique architecture enables extremely low real-world power consumption from digital audio sources with excellent audio performance. The SSM2518 is ideal for power sensitive applications, such as mobile phones and portable media players, where system noise can corrupt small analog signals such as those sent to an analog input audio amplifier.
Using the SSM2518, audio data can be transmitted to the amplifier over a standard digital audio serial interface, thereby significantly reducing the effect of noise sources such as GSM interference or other digital signals on the transmitted audio. The closed-loop digital input design retains the benefits of an all digital amplifier, yet enables very good PSRR and audio performance. The three level, Σ-Δ Class-D modulator is designed to provide the least amount of EMI interference, the lowest quiescent power dissipation, and the highest audio efficiency without sacrificing audio quality.
Input is provided via a serial audio interface, programmable to accept all common audio formats including I2S and TDM. Control of the IC is provided via an I2C control interface. The SSM2518 can accept a variety of input MCLK frequencies and can use BCLK as the clock source in some configurations.
Additional features include a soft digital volume control, deemphasis, and a programmable digital dynamic range compressor.
The architecture of the SSM2518 provides a solution that offers lower power and higher performance than existing DAC plus Class-D solutions. Its digital interface also offers a better system solution for other products whose sole audio source is digital, such as wireless speakers, laptop PCs, portable digital televisions, and navigation systems.
- Mobile phones
- Portable media players
- Laptop PCs
- Wireless speakers
- Portable gaming
- Small LCD televisions
- Navigation systems
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Software & Systems Requirements
Software Development Tools
Reference Designs (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.