Features and Benefits
- Seamless Transition Between Power Sources: Li-Ion Battery, USB, and 6V to 36V External Supply
- High Efﬁciency 1.2A Charger from 6V to 36V Input with Adaptive Output Control (LTC4089)
- Load Dependent Charging from USB Input Guarantees Current Compliance
- 215mΩ Internal Ideal Diode plus Optional External Ideal Diode Controller Provides Low Loss Power Path When External Supply/USB Not Present
- Constant-Current/Constant-Voltage Operation with Thermal Feedback to Maximize Charging Rate without Risk of Overheating
- Selectable 100% or 20% Current Limit (e.g., 500mA/100mA) from USB Input
- Preset 4.2V Charge Voltage with 0.8% Accuracy
- C/10 Charge Current Detection Output
- NTC Thermistor Input for Temperature Qualiﬁed Charging
- Tiny (6mm × 3mm × 0.75mm) 22-Pin DFN Package
The LTC4089/LTC4089-5 are USB power managers plus high voltage Li-Ion battery chargers. These devices control the total current used by the USB peripheral for operation and battery charging. Battery charge current is automatically reduced such that the sum of the load current and the charge current does not exceed the programmed input current limit. The LTC4089/LTC4089-5 also accommodate high voltage power supplies, such as 12V AC-DC wall adapters, FireWire, or automotive power.
The LTC4089 provides an adaptive output that tracks the battery voltage for high efﬁciency charging from the high voltage input. The LTC4089-5 provides a ﬁxed 5V output from the high voltage input to charge single cell Li-Ion batteries. The charge current is programmable and an end-of-charge status output (CHRG) indicates full charge. Also featured is programmable total charge time, an NTC thermistor input used to monitor battery temperature while charging and automatic recharging of the battery.
|Part Number||Float Voltage||NTC Hot Threshold||Bat-Track HV Output|
- Portable USB Devices—GPS Receivers, Cameras, MP3 Players, PDAs
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (2)
DC929A-B: Demo Board for the LTC4089 USB Power Manager with High Voltage Switching Charger.
Product Selector Card (1)
Press Releases (1)
Technical Articles (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.