Features and Benefits
- EEMBC ULPMark™-CP score (3 V): 189
- Ultra low power active and hibernate modes
- Active mode dynamic current: 41 μA/MHz (typical)
- Flexi mode: 400 μA (typical)
- Hibernate mode: 0.65 μA (typical)
- Shutdown mode: 50 nA (typical)
- Shutdown mode (fast wake-up): 0.20 μA (typical)
- ARM Cortex-M4F processor at 52 MHz with FPU, MPU, ITM with SWD interface
- Power management
- Single-supply operation (connected to VBAT pins): 1.74 V to 3.6 V
- Optional buck converter for improved efficiency
- Memory options
- 512 kB of embedded flash memory with ECC
- 4 kB of cache memory to reduce active power
- 128 kB of configurable system SRAM with parity
- Watchdog with dedicated on-chip oscillator
- Hardware CRC with programmable polynomial
- Multiparity bit protected SRAM
- ECC protected embedded flash
- Hardware cryptographic accelerator supporting AES-128, AES-256, and SHA-256
- Protected key storage in flash, SHA-256-based keyed
- HMAC and key wrap and unwrap
- User code protection
- Digital peripherals
- 3 SPI interfaces to enable glueless interface to sensors, radios, and converters
- 1 I2C and 2 UART peripheral interfaces
- SPORT for natively interfacing with converters and radios
- Programmable GPIOs (44 in LFCSP and 51 in WLCSP)
- 3 general-purpose timers with PWM support
- RGB timer for driving RGB LED
- RTC0 for time keeping
- RTC1 with SensorStrobe and time stamping
- Programmable beeper
- 27-channel DMA controller
- Clocking features
- 26 MHz clock: on-chip oscillator, external crystal oscillator, SYS_CLKIN for external clock, and integrated PLL
- 32 kHz clock: on-chip oscillator and low power crystal oscillator
- Clock fail detection for external crystals
- Analog peripherals
- 12-bit SAR ADC, 1.8 MSPS, 8 channels, and digital comparator
The ADuCM4050 microcontroller unit (MCU) is an ultra low power integrated microcontroller system with integrated power management for processing, control, and connectivity. The MCU system is based on the ARM® Cortex®-M4F processor. The MCU also has a collection of digital peripherals, embedded static random access memory (SRAM) and embedded flash memory, and an analog subsystem that provides clocking, reset, and power management capabilities in addition to an analog-to-digital converter (ADC) subsystem.
This data sheet describes the ARM Cortex-M4F core and memory architecture used on the ADuCM4050 MCU. It does not provide detailed programming information about the ARM processor.
The system features include an up to 52 MHz ARM Cortex-M4F processor, 512 kB of embedded flash memory with error correction code (ECC), an optional 4 kB cache for lower active power, and 128 kB system SRAM with parity. The ADuCM4050 features a power management unit (PMU), multilayer advanced microcontroller bus architecture (AMBA) bus matrix, central direct memory access (DMA) controller, and beeper interface.
The ADuCM4050 features cryptographic hardware supporting advanced encryption standard (AES)-128 and AES-256 with secure hash algorithm (SHA)-256 and the following modes: electronic code book (ECB), cipher block chaining (CBC), counter (CTR), and cipher block chaining-message authentication code (CCM/CCM*) modes.
The ADuCM4050 has protected key storage with key wrap/ unwrap, and keyed hashed message authentication code (HMAC) with key unwrap.
The ADuCM4050 supports serial port (SPORT), serial peripheral interface (SPI), I2C, and universal asynchronous receiver/ transmitter (UART) peripheral interfaces.
The ADuCM4050 features a real-time clock (RTC), general-purpose and watchdog timers, and programmable general-purpose input/output (GPIO) pins. There is a hardware cyclic redundancy check (CRC) calculator with programmable generator polynomial. The device also features a power on reset (POR) and power supply monitor (PSM), a 12-bit successive approximation register (SAR) ADC, a red/green/blue (RGB) timer for driving RGB LED, and a true random number generator (TRNG).
To support low dynamic and hibernate power management, the ADuCM4050 MCU provides a collection of power modes and features such as dynamic- and software-controlled clock gating and power gating.
For full details on the ADuCM4050 MCU, refer to the ADuCM4050 Ultra Low Power ARM Cortex-M4F MCU with Integrated Power Management Hardware Reference.
- Ultra low power consumption.
- Robust operation.
- Full voltage monitoring in deep sleep modes.
- ECC support on flash.
- Parity error detection on SRAM memory.
- Leading edge security.
- Fast encryption provides read protection to user algorithms.
- Write protection prevents device reprogramming by unauthorized code.
- Failure detection of 32 kHz low frequency external crystal oscillator (LFXTAL) via interrupt.
- SensorStrobe™ for precise time synchronized sampling of external sensors. Works in hibernate mode, resulting in drastic current reduction in system solutions. Current consumption reduces by 10 times when using, for example, the ADXL363 accelerometer. Software intervention is not required after setup. No pulse drift due to software execution.
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Smart agriculture, smart building, smart metering, smart city, smart machine, and sensor network
- Fitness and clinical
- Machine learning and neural networks
Markets and Technologies
- Point of Care (PoC) Diagnostics
- Vital Signs Monitoring
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) Measurement
- Electroencephalogram (EEG) Measurement
- Non-Invasive Blood Pressure (NIBP)
- Respiration Rate Measurement
- Oxygen Saturation (SpO2) Measurement
- Body Composition, Hydration, Bioimpedance Analysis
- Insulin Pump
- Activity Tracking & Fall Detection
- Wearable Health Monitor
- Life Sciences & Medical Instrumentation
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EV-COG-AD4050 is a development platform for Analog Devices Ultra Low Power technology across ADI's MCU and RF transceiver portfolio. The board uses CrossCore Embedded Studio, an open source Eclipse based Interactive Development Environment (IDE), which can be downloaded free of charge. The platform contains many hardware and software example projects to make it easier for customers to prototype and create solutions for Internet of Things (IoT) applications.
A Cog development system may consist of these
- A MCU Cog that highlights the differentiating values of ADI ULP portfolio.
- An optional add-on board (Gear) for application specific use case.
- An optional wireless board (RF-Cog) for connectivity.
The Cog development system objective is to rapidly create a development/prototyping capability focused on industrial, professional, pro-sumer customers, with a flexible radio, microprocessor, sensor and application development environment.
Features & Benefits
- On-board ultra-low power ARM Cortex M4F MCU
- No external Debugger/Emulator Tools required
- Small form factor (75X35mm )
- Multiple power options – USB, Coincell, External, Li-Ion
- Onboard peripherals – Accelerometer, Temperature sensor
- Compatible with ADI RF daughter cards, and RF modules
- Compatible with ADI application add-on boards (Gears)
- Expansion Connectors and Jumpers for providing external access to all MCU signals
Documentation & Resources
AN-1561: DMA Programming for the ADuCM40507/16/2020
AN-1479: ADuCM4050 SPI Flow Control Modes (Rev. 0)5/16/2019272 K
AN-1549: Performance Optimization of the Integrated ADC on the ADuCM40507/3/2018236 K
AN-1543: SensorStrobe and Input Sampling for Time Synchronized, Sensor Data Sampling in the ADuCM4050 (Rev. 0)6/22/2018336 K
AN-1471: ADuCM4050 Flash EEPROM Emulation (Rev. 0)6/20/2018119K
Accelerate Your Condition Monitoring with Voyager 37/23/2021445 K
Ultra Low Power MCU COG Development Platform10/30/20171M
ADuCM4050 Ultra Low Power Microcontroller3/24/2017350 K
Technologies and Applications for the Internet of Things4/6/20181 M
Power Scaling in Strain Gauge Applications2/3/2023
IoT Asset Health Tracking & Remote Toxic Gas Sensing9/27/2021
Lowest Power Edge Nodes: Structural Health Monitoring7/9/2021
Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) Demo5/14/2021
Ultra Low Power Microcontrollers for IoT Applications1/4/2019
IoT Asset Health Tracking10/15/2018
How to Choose the Best MEMS Sensor for a Wireless Condition-Based Monitoring System—Part 2: How to Detect Mechanical Faults1/21/2022
How to Choose the Best MEMS Sensor for a Wireless Condition-Based Monitoring System—Part 111/1/2021
Smart Sensors: From Big Data to Smart Data with AI4/1/2020
Understanding the Fundamentals of Earthquake Signal Sensing Networks12/1/2019 Analog Dialogue
Enabling Robust Wired Condition-Based Monitoring for Industry 4.0 Part 16/1/2019
Optical Heart Rate Measurement at the Earbud4/1/2019
Over-the-Air (OTA) Updates in Embedded Microcontroller Applications: Design Trade-Offs and Lessons Learned11/1/2018 Analog Dialogue
Strategies for Choosing the Appropriate Microcontroller when Developing Ultra Low Power Systems12/6/2017 Analog Dialogue
Software & Systems Requirements
Operating Systems and Middleware
Software Development Tools
CrossCore Utilities provides several utilities for use with Cortex-M processors. These utilities have previously been distributed within various Board Support Packages for the IAR and Keil toolchains, and are collected together in this product for convenient maintenance.
CrossCore® Embedded Studio
CCES is a world-class integrated development environment (IDE) for the ADI Blackfin®, SHARC® and Arm® processor families.
Tools & Simulations
ADuCM4050 IBIS Models
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.View our quality and reliability program and certifications for more information.
|Part Number||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||Pin/Package Drawing||CAD Symbols, Footprints & 3D Models|
|ADUCM4050BCBZ-R7||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||72-Lead WLCSP (3.57mm x 3.16mm)|
|ADUCM4050BCBZ-RL||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||72-Lead WLCSP (3.57mm x 3.16mm)|
|ADUCM4050BCPZ||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||64-Lead LFCSP (9mm x 9mm x 0.75mm w/ EP)|
|ADUCM4050BCPZ-R7||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||64-Lead LFCSP (9mm x 9mm x 0.75mm w/ EP)|
|ADUCM4050BCPZ-RL||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||64-Lead LFCSP (9mm x 9mm x 0.75mm w/ EP)|
|ADUCM4050BCPZ-U2||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||64-Lead LFCSP (9mm x 9mm x 0.75mm w/ EP)|
|Wafer Fabrication Data|
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.