ADIS16480: Ten Degrees of Freedom Inertial Sensor with Dynamic Orientation Outputs Data Sheet (Rev. H)11/13/2015896 K
ADIS16480: Anomaly Data Sheet (Rev. 0)11/13/201598 K
Features and Benefits
- Dynamic angle outputs
- Quaternion, Euler, rotation matrix
- 0.1° (pitch, roll) and 0.3° (yaw) static accuracy
- Triaxial, digital gyroscope, ±450°/sec dynamic range
- ±0.05° orthogonal alignment error
- 6°/√hr in-run bias stability
- 0.3°/√hr angular random walk
- 0.01% nonlinearity
- Triaxial, digital accelerometer, ±10 g
- Triaxial, delta angle and delta velocity outputs
- Triaxial, digital magnetometer, ±2.5 gauss
- Digital pressure sensor, 300 mbar to 1100 mbar
- Adaptive extended Kalman filter
- Automatic covariance computation
- Programmable reference reorientation
- Programmable sensor disturbance levels
- Configurable event-driven controls
- Factory-calibrated sensitivity, bias, and axial alignment
- Calibration temperature range: −40°C to +85°C
- SPI-compatible serial interface
- Programmable operation and control
- 4 FIR filter banks, 120 configurable taps
- Digital I/O: data-ready alarm indicator, external clock
- Optional external sample clock input: up to 2.4 kHz
- Single-command self-test
- Single-supply operation: 3.0 V to 3.6 V
- 2000 g shock survivability
The ADIS16480 iSensor® device is a complete inertial system that includes a triaxial gyroscope, a triaxial accelerometer, triaxial magnetometer, pressure sensor, and an extended Kalman filter (EKF) for dynamic orientation sensing. Each inertial sensor in the ADIS16480 combines industry-leading iMEMS® technology with signal conditioning that optimizes dynamic performance. The factory calibration characterizes each sensor for sensitivity, bias, alignment, and linear acceleration (gyroscope bias). As a result, each sensor has its own dynamic compensation formulas that provide accurate sensor measurements. The sensors are further correlated and processed in the extended Kalman filter, which provides both automatic adaptive filtering, as well as user-programmable tuning. Thus, in addition to the IMU outputs, the device provides stable quaternion, Euler, and rotation matrix outputs in the local navigation frame.
The ADIS16480 provides a simple, cost-effective method for integrating accurate, multiaxis inertial sensing into industrial systems, especially when compared with the complexity and investment associated with discrete designs. All necessary motion testing and calibration are part of the production process at the factory, greatly reducing system integration time. Tight orthogonal alignment simplifies inertial frame alignment in navigation systems. The SPI and register structure provide a simple interface for data collection and configuration control.
The ADIS16480 uses the same footprint and connector system as the ADIS16488A, which greatly simplifies the upgrade process. It comes in a module that is approximately 47 mm × 44 mm × 14 mm and has a standard connector interface. The ADIS16480 provides an operating temperature range of −40°C to +105°C.
- Platform stabilization, control, and pointing
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (3)
This adaptor board allows for easy plug and play connection of Analog Devices Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) devices to the Raspberry Pi platform, providing application and software development.
There are two ways in which to connect your IMU to this adaptor board.
- Direct board mounting using the screws and mounting locations provided.
- Mount the IMU to a separate ADIS16IMU1/PCBZ or ADIS16IMU4/PCBZ breakout board and use the flexible 16-position ribbon cable to the EVAL-ADISIMU1-RPIZ.
This helps both software development as well as enabling real world application verification with the ability to physically move the sensor.
Features & Benefits
- Simplifies software and application prototyping of IMU’s on Raspberry Pi Platform
- Direct mounting for software development
- Ribbon cable mounting for application testing and verification
- Connects to ADIS16IMU1/PCBZ and ADIS16IMU4/PCBZ compatible IMU devices
- Connectable to Raspberry Pi 3B+ and 4 through the 40pin GPIO connector
The EVAL-ADIS-FX3 is the latest addition to the iSensor evaluation portfolio and was designed from the ground up to provide users with an easy-to-use solution for capturing reliable inertial data in lab and characterization environments. The EVAL-ADIS-FX3 incorporates the ability to capture inertial sensor data at maximum throughput while interfacing with external test equipment and reacting to external triggers.
In addition to launching a redesigned hardware platform, we’ve also developed a robust API that allows users to quickly build custom applications that capture reliable sensor data. We’ve included many useful features into the API that enable designers to characterize sensor performance in any .NET compatible environment.
- Inertial sensing
- Autonomous driving
- Platform stabilization
Features & Benefits
- Real-time sampling of IMU at full sample rate with no loss of data guaranteed.
- No external power needed. (Can be powered from USB port.)
- Completely open source API, Firmware, and Evaluation GUI.
- Schematics available
- API includes a wrapper library for interfacing to MATLAB, Python, LabView.
The ADIS16IMU1/PCBZ is a breakout board for many of the ADIS16xxx IMU and gyroscope products. It provides a series of tapped M2x0.4mm machine screw holes to support direct-mounting with several different package styles, along with a 16-pin, dual-row, 2mm connect interface that supports simple connection with remote processor boards, using up to 12 inches of a 1mm ribbon cable.
Features & Benefits
- Simplify prototype connection of many ADIS16xxx devices to existing embedded processor systems.
- Necessary to connect some ADIS16xxx devices to the EVAL-ADIS2 evaluation system.
- Comes with a kit of M2x0.4 machine screws and hardware to simplify DUT attachment.
Documentation & Resources
AN-1295: Mechanical Design Tips for ADIS16375, ADIS16480, ADIS16485, and ADIS16488 (Rev. 0)2/14/2015277 kB
AN-1157: Tuning the Extended Kalman Filter in the ADIS16480 (Rev. B)7/18/2012373 kB
ADIS1648x Evaluation on the EVAL-ADIS System (Wiki Site)3/22/2019WIKI
FAQ: Gyroscope In-Run Bias Stability (EngineerZone™)3/22/2019
FAQ: Gyroscope Sensitivity/Scale Factor Evaluation (EngineerZone™)6/21/2016
FAQ: Gyroscope Noise Density (EngineerZone™)6/21/2016
FAQ: Gyroscope Angle Random Walk (EngineerZone™)6/21/2016
FAQ: Body Frame vs Local Navigation Frame in the ADIS1648012/11/2012
FAQ: Hard/Soft Iron Correction for Magnetometers in the ADIS16480 and ADIS1648812/11/2012
Kalman or FIR Filter for My IMU?3/1/2016
Software & Systems Requirements
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.