Features and Benefits
- 8 GHz to 16 GHz frequency range
- Half-duplex for transmit and receive modes
- Single-pin transmit and receive control
- 360° phase adjustment range
- 2.8° phase resolution
- ≥31 dB gain adjustment range
- ≤0.5 dB gain resolution
- Bias and control for external transmit and receive modules
- Memory for 121 prestored beam positions
- Four −20 dBm to +10 dBm power detectors
- Integrated temperature sensor
- Integrated 8-bit ADC for power detectors and temperature sensor
- Programmable bias modes
- 4-wire SPI interface
The ADAR1000 is a 4-channel, X and Ku frequency band, beamforming core chip for phased arrays. This device operates in half-duplex between receive and transmit modes. In receive mode, input signals pass through four receive channels and are combined in a common RF_IO pin. In transmit mode, the RF_IO input signal is split and passes through the four transmit channels. In both modes, the ADAR1000 provides a ≥31 dB gain adjustment range and a full 360° phase adjustment range in the radio frequency (RF) path, with 6-bit resolution (less than ≤0.5 dB and 2.8°, respectively).
A simple 4-wire serial port interface (SPI) controls all of the on-chip registers. In addition, two address pins allow SPI control of up to four devices on the same serial lines. Dedicated transmit and receive load pins also provide synchronization of all core chips in the same array, and a single pin controls fast switching between the transmit and receive modes.
The ADAR1000 is available in a compact, 88-terminal, 7 mm × 7 mm, LGA package and is specified from −40°C to +85°C.
- Phased array radar
- Satellite communications systems
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (2)
The ADAR1000-EVALZ evaluation board is designed for evaluating the performance of the ADAR1000, a 4-channel, X band and Ku band beamforming core chip for radar systems. All the radio frequency (RF) input/output channels and detector inputs are brought out to Subminiature Version A (SMA) connectors. On-board logic level translators convert the on-chip 1.8 V logic signals to 3.3 V for interfacing to external controllers running on 3.3 V. Two identical 20-pin, dual row rectangular headers provide the digital interface signals to allow daisy-chaining up to four ADAR1000-EVALZ evaluation boards together. A 24-pin connector provides control and bias outputs to interface to four external transmit and receive (T/R) modules with each ADAR1000-EVALZ evaluation board.
The ADAR1000-EVALZ evaluation board can be used with an Analog Devices, Inc., system demonstration platform (SDP) SDP-S or SDP-B board (supplied separately), which allows connection to a Microsoft Windows®-based PC through the USB for controlling of all the ADAR1000 device functions.
For full details on the ADAR1000, see the ADAR1000 data sheet, which should be consulted in conjunction with this user guide when using this evaluation board.
Features & BenefitsFor Rev B and Rev C/D please review schematics found below.
More info can be found on the ADAR1000 Wiki page.
- Based on the ADAR1000 4-channel beamformer core chip
- Controllable through SPI
- Multiple forms of digital interface (3.3 V and 1.8 V logic)
- On-board logic level translators with 1.8 V low dropout regulator for supply
- Software control from a Windows-based PC through USB
X-Band Phased Array Platform
The X-Band Development Platform contains one MxFE® software defined, direct RF sampling transceivers, X-Band to C-Band Up/Down Converter, and a X/Ku Band analog phased array proto-typing platform. The target application is phased array radars, electronic warfare, and ground-based SATCOM, specifically a X Band 32 transmit/32 receive channel hybrid beamforming phased array radar.
The X-Band Development Platform highlights a complete system solution. It is intended as a testbed for demonstrating hybrid beamforming phased array radar as well as the implementation of system level calibrations, beamforming algorithms, and other signal processing algorithms. The system is designed to mate with a ZCU102 Evaluation Board from Xilinx®, which features the Zynq® UltraScale+™ MPSoC FPGA, with provided reference software, HDL code, and MATLAB system-level interfacing software.
The system can be used to enable quick time-to-market development programs for applications like:
- ADEF (Phased-Array, RADAR, EW, SATCOM)
- Hybrid Beamforming
- Electronic Test and Measurement
Features & BenefitsStingray X/Ku Phased Array Proto-typing Board
- 32 Channel Analog Phased Array Prototyping Platform
- 8x ADAR1000 Analog Phased Array Beamforming ICs
- 32x ADTR Transmit/Receive ICs
- RF In, RF Out Design
- Individual RFIO for each BFIC
- 10 GHz Lattice Spacing
- Stand-Alone RF Detector/ADC Combo for Calibration
- PMOD and SDP Connectors for Programming
- On-Board Power Regulation from Single 12V Power Adapter (Included)
XUD1A X/C Band Up/Down Converter
- X Band (RF) to C Band (IF) up/down converter
- 4 TX/RX RF Input/Output via SMA
- 4 TX IF Inputs via SMPM
- 4 RX IF Output via SMPM
- External LO or Internal PLL Options
- PMOD Connector for Programming
- Interposer Board via PMOD to allow SDP and FMC Connectors for Programming
- On-Board Power Regulation from Single 12V Power Adapter (Included)
MxFE Evaluation Board
- Mates with Xilinx ZCU102 Evaluation Board (Not Included)
- 4x RF Receive (Rx) Channels (8x Digital Rx Channels)
- Total 4x 12-bit 4GSPS ADC
- 8x Digital Down Converters (DDCs), Each Including Complex Numerically-Controlled Oscillators (NCOs)
- 8x Programmable Finite Impulse Response Filters (pFIRs)
- 4x RF Transmit (Tx) Channels (8x Digital Tx Channels)
- Total 4x 16-bit 12GSPS DAC
- 8x Digital Up Converters (DUCs), Each Including Complex Numerically-Controlled Oscillators (NCOs)
- Flexible Clock Distribution
- On-Board Clock Distribution from Single External 500MHz Reference
- Support for External Converter Clock
- On-Board Power Regulation Powered by ZCU102 Evaluation Board via FMC Connector
Software Features and Benefits
Easy Control Tools and Platform Interfaces to Simplify Software Framework Developments:
- MATLAB System Applications GUI
- Example HDL Builds including JESD204b/JESD204c Bring-Up
- Embedded Software Solutions for Linux and Device Drivers
Software Reference Design Examples for ADEF Applications to Reduce Prototyping Time:
- Hybrid Beamsteering Capability
- System Phase Calibration
Product Selection Guide (1)
Technical Articles (9)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.