Features and Benefits
- 1.8 V analog supply operation
- 1.8 V CMOS or LVDS output supply
- 82 dBFS at 30 MHz input and 105 MSPS data rate
- 83 dBFS at 9.7 MHz input and 25 MSPS data rate
- 90 dBc at 30 MHz input and 105 MSPS data rate
- 95 dBc at 9.7 MHz input and 25 MSPS data rate
- Low power
- 328 mW per channel at 105 MSPS
- 119 mW per channel at 25 MSPS
- Integer 1-to-8 input clock divider
- See data sheet for additional features
- Download AD9650-EP data sheet (pdf)
The AD9650 is a dual, 16-bit, 25 MSPS/65 MSPS/80 MSPS/ 105 MSPS analog-to-digital converter (ADC) designed for digitizing high frequency, wide dynamic range signals with input frequencies of up to 300 MHz.
The dual ADC core features a multistage, differential pipelined architecture with integrated output error correction logic. Each ADC features wide bandwidth, differential sample-and-hold analog input amplifiers, and shared integrated voltage reference, which eases design considerations. A duty cycle stabilizer is provided to compensate for variations in the ADC clock duty cycle, allowing the converters to maintain excellent performance.
The ADC output data can be routed directly to the two external 16-bit output ports or multiplexed on a single 16-bit bus. These outputs can be set to either 1.8 V CMOS or LVDS.
Flexible power-down options allow significant power savings, when desired.
Programming for setup and control is accomplished using a 3-wire SPI-compatible serial interface.
The AD9650 is available in a 64-lead LFCSP and is specified over the industrial temperature range of −40°C to +85°C.
- On-chip dither option for improved SFDR performance with low power analog input.
- Proprietary differential input that maintains excellent SNR performance for input frequencies up to 300 MHz.
- Operation from a single 1.8 V supply and a separate digital output driver supply accommodating 1.8 V CMOS or LVDS outputs.
- Standard serial port interface (SPI) that supports various product features and functions, such as data formatting (offset binary, twos complement, or gray coding), enabling the clock DCS, power-down, and test modes.
- Pin compatible with the AD9268 and other dual families, AD9269, AD9251, AD9231, and AD9204. This allows a simple migration across resolutions and bandwidth.
- Industrial instrumentation
- X-Ray, MRI, and ultrasound equipment
- High speed pulse acquisition
- Chemical and spectrum analysis
- Direct conversion receivers
- Multimode digital receivers
- Smart antenna systems
- General-purpose software radios
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (2)
This page contains evaluation board documentation and ordering information for evaluating the AD9650.
The AD9650-105EBZ is an evaluation board for the AD9650, dual 16-bit ADC. This reference design provides all of the support circuitry to operate devices in their various modes and configurations. It is designed to interface directly with the HSC-ADC-EVALCZ data capture card, allowing users to download captured data for analysis. The Visual Analog software package, which is used to interface with the device's hardware, allows users to download captured data for analysis with a user-friendly graphical interface. The SPI controller software package is also compatible with this hardware and allows the user to access the SPI programmable features of the AD9650.
The AD9650 data sheet provides additional information related to device configuration and performance and should be consulted when using these tools. All documents and Visual Analog and SPI Controller are available at the High Speed ADC Evaluation Boards page. For additional information or questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board for the AD9650
- SPI interface for setup and control
- External, on-board oscillator, or AD9517 clocking options
- Balun/transformer or amplifier input drive options
- LDO regulator or switching power supply options
- VisualAnalog® and SPI controller software interfaces
The HSC-ADC-EVALCZ high speed converter evaluation platform uses an FPGA based buffer memory board to capture blocks of digital data from the Analog Devices high speed analog-to-digital converter (ADC) evaluation boards. The board is connected to the PC through a USB port and is used with VisualAnalog® to quickly evaluate the performance of high speed ADCs. The evaluation kit is easy to set up. Additional equipment needed includes an Analog Devices high speed ADC evaluation board, a signal source, and a clock source. Once the kit is connected and powered, the evaluation is enabled instantly on the PC.
Features & Benefits
- 64kB FIFO Depth
- Works with single and multi-channel ADCs
- Use with VisualAnalog® software
- Based on Virtex-4 FPGA
- May require adaptor to interface with some ADC eval boards
- Allows programming of SPI control Up to 644 MSPS SDR / 800MSPS DDR Encode Rates on each channel
- DDR Encode Rates on each channel
Documentation & Resources
AN-878: High Speed ADC SPI Control Software (Rev. A)3/20/2018
AN-827: A Resonant Approach to Interfacing Amplifiers to Switched-Capacitor ADCs (Rev. 0)2/14/2015
AN-742: Frequency Domain Response of Switched-Capacitor ADCs (Rev. C)2/14/2015
AN-586: LVDS Outputs for High Speed A/D Converters (Rev. 0)2/14/2015
AN-1142: Techniques for High Speed ADC PCB Layout (Rev. 0)2/2/2012
AN-807: Multicarrier WCDMA Feasibility (Rev. 0)11/9/2007
AN-808: Multicarrier CDMA2000 Feasibility (Rev. 0)11/9/2007
AN-812: MicroController-Based Serial Port Interface (SPI) Boot Circuit (Rev. 0)9/20/2006
Tools & Simulations
Virtual Eval - BETA
Virtual Eval is a web application to assist designers in product evaluation of ADCs, DACs, and other ADI products. Using detailed models on Analog’s servers, Virtual Eval simulates crucial part performance characteristics within seconds. Configure operating conditions such as input tones and external jitter, as well as device features like gain or digital down-conversion. Performance characteristics include noise, distortion, and resolution, FFTs, timing diagrams, response plots, and more.
For designers who are selecting or evaluating high speed ADCs, VisualAnalog™ is a software package that combines a powerful set of simulation and data analysis tools with a user-friendly graphical interface.
AD9650 Companion Parts
Recommended Clock Drivers
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.