Features and Benefits
- Pin programmable 2.5 V or 3.0 V output
- Ultralow drift: 3 ppm/°C max
- High accuracy: 2.5 V or 3.0 V ±1 mV max
- Low noise: 100 nV/√Hz
- Noise reduction capability
- Low quiescent current: 1 mA max
- Output trim capability
- Plug-in upgrade for present references
- Temperature output pin
- Series or shunt mode operation (±2.5 V, ±3.0 V)
The AD780 is an ultrahigh precision band gap reference voltage that provides a 2.5 V or 3.0 V output from inputs between 4.0 V and 36 V. Low initial error and temperature drift combined with low output noise and the ability to drive any value of capacitance make the AD780 the ideal choice for enhancing the performance of high resolution analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) and digital-to-analog converters (DACs) and for any general purpose precision reference application. A unique low headroom design facilitates a 3.0 V output from a 5.0 V ± 10% input, providing a 20% boost to the dynamic range of an ADC over performance with existing 2.5 V references.
The AD780 can be used to source or sink up to 10 mA and can be used in series or shunt mode, thus allowing positive or negative output voltages without external components. This makes it suitable for virtually any high performance reference application. Unlike some competing references, the AD780 has no region of possible instability. The part is stable under all load conditions when a 1 µF bypass capacitor is used on the supply.
A temperature output pin on the AD780 provides an output voltage that varies linearly with temperature, allowing the part to be configured as a temperature transducer while providing a stable 2.5 V or 3.0 V output.
The AD780 is a pin-compatible performance upgrade for the LT1019(A)-2.5 and the AD680. The latter is targeted toward low power applications.
The AD780 is available in three grades in PDIP and SOIC packages. The AD780AN, AD780AR, AD780BN, AD780BR, and AD780CR are specified for operation from −40°C to +85°C.
- The AD780 provides a pin programmable 2.5 V or 3.0 V output from a 4 V to 36 V input.
- Laser trimming of both initial accuracy and temperature coefficients results in low errors over temperature without the use of external components. The AD780BN has a maximum variation of 0.9 mV from −40°C to +85°C.
- For applications that require even higher accuracy, an optional fine-trim connection is provided.
- The AD780 noise is extremely low, typically 4 mV p-p from 0.1 Hz to 10 Hz and a wideband spectral noise density of typically 100 nV/√Hz. This can be further reduced, if desired, by using two external capacitors.
- The temperature output pin enables the AD780 to be configured as a temperature transducer while providing a stable output reference.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Application Notes (3)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.