MAXREFDES1104 Design Files3/3/2021
- PCB Layout
- Bill of Materials
Due to its simplicity and low cost, the flyback converter is the preferred choice for low-to-medium isolated DC-DC power-conversion applications. However, the use of an optocoupler or an auxiliary winding on the flyback transformer for voltage feedback across the isolation barrier increases the number of components and design complexity. The MAX17690 eliminates the need for an optocoupler or auxiliary transformer winding and achieves ±5% output voltage regulation over line, load, and temperature variations.
The MAX17690 implements an innovative algorithm to accurately determine the output voltage by sensing the reflected voltage across the primary winding during the flyback time interval. By sampling and regulating this reflected voltage when the secondary current is close to zero, the effects of secondary-side DC losses in the transformer winding, the PCB tracks, and the rectifying diode on output voltage regulation can be minimized.
The MAX17690 also compensates for the negative temperature coefficient of the rectifying diode.
- 4.5V to 60V Input Voltage Range
- Programmable Switching Frequency from 50kHz to 250kHz
- Programmable Input Enable/UVLO Feature
- Programmable Input Overvoltage Protection
- Adjustable Soft-Start
- 2A/4A Peak Source/Sink Gate Drive Capability
- Hiccup Mode Short-Circuit Protection
- Fast Cycle-by-Cycle Peak Current Limit
- Thermal Shutdown Protection
- Space-Saving, 16-Pin, 3mm x 3mm TQFN Package
- -40°C to +125°C Operating Temperature Range
Documentation & Resources
Support & Training
Search our knowledge base for answers to your technical questions. Our dedicated team of Applications Engineers are also available to answer your technical questions.