- 9V to 40V Wide Supply Voltage Range
- 1.33A Output Current
- Analog PWM- and Digital-PWM-Controlled Dimming
- Output Overvoltage Protection
- Demonstrates Buffered Clock Output
- Programmable EEPROM Controlling
- LED Current (Binning)
- External MOSFET Gate Driver Supply Voltage
- Leading-Edge Blanking Time
- Digital Soft-Start Duration
- RTSYNC Oscillator Enable/Disable
- Slope Compensation
- Nonvolatile EEPROM for Saving Register Values
- USB-PC Connection (Cable Included)
- USB-Powered USB-to-1-Wire Interface Circuit
- 1-Wire Interface Terminals for Evaluating a User-Supplied 1-Wire Interface
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista (32-Bit)-Compatible Software
- Lead-Free and RoHS Compliant
- Fully Assembled and Tested
The MAX16816 evaluation kit (EV kit) demonstrates the programmable MAX16816 current-mode, high-brightness LED (HB LED) driver IC. The EV kit is configured as a stepdown/step-up (buck-boost) topology circuit with peak inductor current control and DC LED current control for driving external LEDs. The EV kit operates from a DC supply voltage of 9V to 40V and is configured to deliver 1.33A of current. The maximum output voltage of the LED string can be up to 28V. The EV kit can be configured for analog PWM- or digital-PWM-controlled dimming operation using either an analog linear DC voltage or a digital PWM input signal to control the LEDs' brightness. This EV kit has an undervoltage lockout (UVLO) feature that disables the EV kit, and overvoltage protection that protects the circuit under no-load or open HBLED conditions. The EV kit circuit demonstrates the MAX16816 IC's clock output and features an input for synchronizing to an external clock.
The EV kit uses a 1-Wire® interface for programming the MAX16816 IC's nonvolatile EEPROM. Adjustable features include programmable LED current (binning), external MOSFET gate driver supply voltage, leading-edge blanking time, digital soft-start duration, RTSYNC oscillator enable/disable, and slope compensation. The EV kit includes Windows® 2000/XP/Vista®-compatible software that provides a simple graphical user interface (GUI) for updating the MAX16816 EEPROM. Visit www.maximintegrated.com/evkitsoftware to download the latest version of the EV kit software. The EV kit can also interface with a user-supplied 1-wire interface circuit for stand-alone MAX16816 operation.
Caution: Do not power up the MAX16816 EV kit without connecting a load to the LED+ and LED- PCB pads.
Warning: Voltages exceeding 42V may exist on the LED+ and LED- output pads.
- Automotive Exterior: Rear Combination Lights (RCL), Daytime Running Lights (DRL), Fog and Front Lighting, High-Beam/Low-Beam/Turn Lights
- General Illumination
- Navigation and Marine Indicators
- Neon Replacement, Emergency Lighting
- Signage and Beacons