Features and Benefits
- Allows Safe Insertion into Live –48V Backplanes
- Protects MOSFET with SOA Timer
- Programmable 15mV to 30mV Current Limit Sense Voltage with 2% Accuracy and Adjustable Foldback
- 8-Bit to 16-Bit Gear-Shift ADC with 0.5% Accuracy
- Monitors Voltages, Currents, Power and Energy
- Nonvolatile Configuration and Fault Recording
- Floating Topology for Rugged High Voltage Operation
- Selectable Inrush Control: dV/dt or Current Limit
- I2C/SMBus or Single-Wire Broadcast Interfaces
- Min/Max ADC Measurement Logging with Alerts
- Reboots on I2C Command with Programmable Delay
- Adjustable Input UV/OV Thresholds and Hysteresis
- 38-Pin 5mm × 7mm QFN Package
The LTC4283 negative voltage hot swap controller drives an external N-channel MOSFET to allow a board to be safely inserted and removed from a live backplane. The device features programmable current limit with foldback and independently adjustable inrush current to optimize the MOSFET safe operating area (SOA). The SOA timer limits MOSFET temperature rise for reliable protection against overstresses.
An I2C interface and onboard gear-shift ADC allow monitoring of board current, voltage, power, energy, and fault status. An available single-wire broadcast mode simplifies the interface by eliminating two isolators. The included EEPROM provides black-box capturing and nonvolatile configuration of fault behavior.
Additional features respond to input UV/OV, interrupt the host when a fault has occurred, notify when output power is good, detect insertion of a board, turn off the MOSFET if an external supply monitor fails to indicate power good within a timeout period, and auto-reboot after a programmable delay following a host commanded turn-off.
- Telecom Infrastructure
- –48V Distributed Power Systems
- Servers and Data Centers
- Power Monitors
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.