Features and Benefits
- 5 kVrms signal and power isolated CAN transceiver
- isoPower integrated isolated dc-to-dc converter
- VIO pin for 1.7 V to 5.5 V logic levels
- ISO 11898-2:2016 compliant (CAN FD)
- Data rates up to 12 Mbps for CAN FD
- Low maximum loop propagation delay: 150 ns
- Extended common-mode range: ±25 V
- Bus fault protection: ±40 V on CANH and CANL pins
- Low power standby support remote wake request
- Extra isolated signal for control (such as termination switches)
- Passes EN 55022 Class B by 6 dB
- Slope control for reduced EMI
- Safety and regulatory approvals
- VDE certificate of conformity, VDE V 0884-10 (pending)
- VIORM = 849 VPEAK
- UL: 5000 V rms for 1 minute per UL 1577 (pending)
- CSA Component Acceptance Notice 5A (pending)
- IEC 60950-1, IEC 61010-1
- VDE certificate of conformity, VDE V 0884-10 (pending)
- Creepage and clearance: 8.3 mm minimum with 20-lead SOIC_IC
- High common-mode transient immunity: >75 kV/µs
- Industrial operating temperature range: −40°C to +105°C
The ADM3055E is a 5 kV rms isolated controller area network (CAN) physical layer transceiver with an integrated isolated dc-to-dc converter. The ADM3055E meets flexible data rate (CAN FD) requirements for operation to 5 Mbps and higher and complies with the ISO 11898-2: 2016 standard. The ADM3055E is capable of supporting data rates as high as 12 Mbps.
The device employs Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology to combine a 3-channel isolator, a CAN transceiver, and an Analog Devices isoPower® dc-to-dc converter into a single, surface-mount, small outline integrated circuit (SOIC) package. The device is powered by a single 5 V supply, realizing a fully isolated solution for CAN and CAN FD. Radiated emissions from the high frequency switching of the dc-to-dc convertors are kept below EN 55022 Class B limits by continuous adjustments to the switching frequency.
The ADM3055E provides complete isolation between the CAN controller and physical layer bus. Safety and regulatory approvals (pending) for 5 kV rms isolation voltage, 10 kV surge test, and 8.3 mm creepage and clearance ensure the ADM3055E meets application reinforced isolation requirements.
Low propagation delays through the isolation support longer bus cables. Slope control mode is available for standard CAN at low data rates. Standby mode minimizes power consumption when the bus is idle or if the node goes offline. Silent mode allows the TXD input to be ignored for listen only mode.
Dominant timeout functionality protects against bus lock up in a fault condition. The current limiting and thermal shutdown features protect against output short circuits. The device isfully specified over an industrial temperature range of −40°C to +105°C.
- CANOpen, DeviceNet, and other CAN bus applications
- Industrial automation
- Process control and building control
- Transport and infrastructure
Markets & Technology
- Instrumentation & Measurement
- Industrial Automation Technology (IAT)
- Building Technology
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADM3055EEBZ allows the user to evaluate the ADM3055E and the ADM3057E isolated signal and power transceivers for controller area network (CAN) or CAN with flexible data rate (CAN FD) networks. The EVAL-ADM3055EEBZ allows all of the input and output functions to work without the need for external components.
Based on the Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology, the ADM3055E and the ADM3057E integrate logic side on-off keying (OOK) signal isolation channels and an Analog Devices isoPower® dc-to-dc converter to provide regulated, isolated power that is well below EN55022 Class B limits when transmitting on a 2-layer printed circuit board (PCB) with ferrites.
The EVAL-ADM3055EEBZ comes populated with an ADM3055E.
Full specifications of the ADM3055E and the ADM3057E can be found in the ADM3055E and the ADM3057E data sheets, available from Analog Devices and must be consulted in conjunction with this user guide when using the EVAL-ADM3055EEBZ.
The EVAL-ADM3055EEBZ is compatible and can be used to evaluate the ADM3057E. The ADM3055E and the ADM3057E differ by package and isolation capabilities, but both devices are functionally equivalent for evaluation.
Features & Benefits
- ADM3055E with isoPower integrated, isolated, dc-to-dc converter
- 2-layer PCB with low radiated emissions, passes EN55022 Class B
- On-board LDO for 6 V to 9 V supply, providing 5 V to the ADM3055E VCC pin
- Screw terminal connectors include
- 6V to 9V LDO, 5V power supply to the VCC pin and the VIO pin
- 5 V direct power supply to VCC pin
- 1.7 V to 5.5 V direct power supply to the VIO pin
- TXD pin, RXD pin, STBY pin, SILENT pin, AUXIN pin, AUXOUT pin, and RS pin signals
- Divided PCB return planes for GND1 and GND2
- SMA connectors for TXD pin and RXD pin signals
Tools & Simulations
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.