Features and Benefits
- Dual-Phase, Fast-Response Interleaved, Quick-PWM
- Intel IMVP-6+ Code-Set Compliant
- Dynamic Phase Selection Optimizes Active/Sleep Efficiency
- Transient Phase Overlap Reduces Output Capacitance
- Transient-Overshoot Suppression Feature
- Active Voltage Positioning with Adjustable Gain
- High Speed, Accuracy, and Efficiency
- Low Bulk Output Capacitor Count
- 7V to 24V Input-Voltage Range
- 0 to 1.5000V Output-Voltage Range (7-Bit DAC)
- 38A Load-Current Capability (19A per Phase)
- Accurate Current Balance and Current Limit
- 300kHz Switching Frequency (per Phase)
- Power-Good (PWRGD) and Phase-Good (PHASEGD) Outputs and Indicators
- Clock Enable (Active-Low CLKEN) and Thermal-Fault (Active-Low VRHOT) Outputs and Indicators
- Lead(Pb)-Free and RoHS Compliant
- Fully Assembled and Tested
The MAX17410 evaluation kit (EV kit) demonstrates the high-power, dynamically adjustable, multiphase IMVP-6+ notebook CPU application circuit. This DC-DC converter steps down high-voltage batteries and/or AC adapters, generating a precision, low-voltage CPU core VCC rail. The MAX17410 EV kit meets the Intel mobile IMVP-6+ CPU's transient voltage specification, powergood signaling, voltage regulator thermal monitoring (active-low VRHOT), and power monitor output (PMON). The MAX17410 EV kit consists of the MAX17410 2-phase interleaved Quick-PWM™ step-down controller. The MAX17410 EV kit includes active voltage positioning with adjustable gain, reducing power dissipation, and bulk output capacitance requirements. A slew-rate controller allows controlled transitions between VID codes, controlled soft-start and shutdown, and controlled exit suspend voltage. Precision slew-rate control provides "just-in-time" arrival at the new DAC setting, minimizing surge currents to and from the battery.
Dedicated system inputs (active-low PSI, active-low DPRSTP, and DPRSLPVR) dynamically select the operating mode and number of active phases, optimizing the overall efficiency during the CPU's active and sleep states.
The MAX17410 includes latched output undervoltage-fault, overvoltage-fault, and thermal-overload protection. It also includes a voltage regulator power-good output (PWRGD), a clock enable output (active-low CLKEN), a power monitor output (PMON), a phase-good output (PHASEGD), and a system power-good input (PGDN).
This fully assembled and tested circuit board provides a digitally adjustable 0 to 1.5000V output voltage (7-bit on-board DAC) from a 7V to 24V battery input range. Each phase delivers up to 19A output current for a total of 38A. The MAX17410 EV kit operates at 300kHz switching frequency (per phase) and has superior line- and load-transient response.
- IMVP6+ Core Supply
- Multiphase CPU Core Supply
- Notebook/Desktop Computers
- Voltage-Positioned, Step-Down Converters
Documentation & Resources
MAX17410EVKIT: Evaluation Kit for the MAX17410 Data Sheet (Rev. 0)5/23/20091M