Power over Ethernet IC Delivers 123W over 1Gbps CAT5e Cable
Linear Technology Corporation introduces the LTC4279 single port Power over Ethernet (PoE) controller for power sourcing equipment (PSE), delivering up to 123W of power over CAT-5e cable for power-hungry applications. Demand for higher power delivery comes from a widespread set of applications, including LTE picocell base stations, LED signage, security monitoring systems, home automation and machine vision systems. The highly versatile LTC4279 delivers power to a wide variety of powered devices (PDs). This includes all legacy (<13W), IEEE 802.3at Type 1 (13W) and Type 2 (25.5W) PDs, Linear’s proprietary LTPoE++ (up to 90W), and custom (<123W) PDs. 2-pair and 4-pair output topologies are supported, as well as single-signature and dual-signature architectures. Resistor-adjustable power selection allows the LTC4279 to be easily configured for multiple sockets, simplifying design and bill of materials.
The LTC4279 provides fully autonomous operation for a wide variety of PSE applications, including endpoints and midspan power injectors. A low power sense resistor and external MOSFET simplify thermal design; traditional PSEs utilize less robust MOSFETs with higher RDS(ON). PD discovery is accomplished using a high reliability 4-point detection mechanism that ensures best-in-class immunity from false PD detection. The LTC4279 provides a comprehensive set of PD classification mechanisms to enable wide system compatibility. Robustness is reinforced with classification-dependent current cutoff and limit thresholds, short-circuit protection and ±80V cable surge protection.
The LTC4279 is offered in the industrial temperature grade (–40°C to 85°C) and is available in RoHS-compliant 4mm × 5mm QFN-20 and SO-16 packages. The LTC4279 is priced starting at $3.45 each in 1,000-piece quantities and is now available in production quantities. The LTC4279, combined with the LT4275 and LT4276 PD controllers, enable up to 123W end-to-end design. Please visit www.linear.com/product/LTC4279 for more product information.
Summary of Features: LTC4279
- Compliant with IEEE 802.3at Type 1 & 2
- Supports LTPoE++ Up to 90W
- UltraPWR Mode Supports Custom PDs up to 123W
- Supports Single-Signature & Dual-Signature PDs
- Very Low Power Dissipation
- 0.1Ω Sense Resistance
- Low RDS(ON) External MOSFET
- Very High Reliability 4-Point PD Detection
- Pin-Selectable Detection Backoff Timer for Midspans
- Pin-Programmable Power Selection
- Status LED Pin
- Available in 20-Pin QFN & 16-Pin SO Packages
Pricing shown is for budgetary use only and may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.
- About Analog Devices
- Analog Devices (NASDAQ: ADI) designs and manufactures semiconductor products and solutions. We enable our customers to interpret the world around us by intelligently bridging the physical and digital with unmatched technologies that sense, measure and connect. Visit http://www.analog.com
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson