Robust 4Mbps CAN FD µModule Isolator with Power Improves System Reliability
Linear Technology Corporation introduces the LTM2889, a fully ISO 11898-2 compliant CAN (controller area network) µModule® (micromodule) transceiver and isolator that guards against large ground-to-ground differentials and common mode transients in 3.3V or 5V applications. In practical CAN systems, ground potentials vary widely from node to node, often exceeding the tolerable range, which can result in an interruption of communications or destruction of a transceiver. The LTM2889 separates grounds by isolating the CAN transceiver using internal inductive isolation. It implements multiple levels of protection to significantly improve system reliability, including 2,500VRMS of galvanic isolation, ±60V bus voltage fault tolerance, greater than 30kV/µs common mode transient immunity, and ±25kV HBM ESD protection. The LTM2889 requires no external components, ensuring a complete and robust µModule solution for isolated serial data communications.
The LTM2889 features an integrated, low EMI, DC/DC converter that powers the isolated transceiver and provides up to 0.75W of isolated power for CAN node components. In addition to the many built-in protection mechanisms, the device features an extended ±36V common mode range to enable operation in electrically noisy environments and in the presence of ground loops. The LTM2889 operates at data rates between 22kbps and 4Mbps, with an adjustable slew rate to reduce EMI at lower data rates. A shutdown mode brings all of the LTM2889’s outputs to high impedance and reduces power consumption to less than 1µA.
The LTM2889 is offered in commercial, industrial and automotive temperature grades and is available in a low profile 15mm × 11.25mm × 3.42mm surface mount BGA package. All integrated circuits and passive components are housed in this Linear Technology, RoHS-compliant µModule package. Pricing starts at $9.96 each in 1,000 piece quantities. The LTM2889 joins a family of µModule isolators that includes isolated RS485, RS232, USB, SPI, I2C and GPIO. Please visit www.linear.com/isolator for more product selection and information.
Summary of Features: LTM2889
- Isolated 4Mbps CAN FD Transceiver
- 2500VRMS for 1 Minute per UL1577
- Isolated DC Power: 5V (Adjustable to 3.3V)
- Up to 150mA Available Isolated Power Output
- 3.3V or 5V Input Supply Voltage Options
- High Bus Fault Voltage Tolerance: ±60V
- Low Power Off Mode: <1µA Typical
- High Common Mode Transient Immunity: >30kV/µs
- High ESD: ±25kV CANH, CANL to GND2 & VCC2; ±10kV Across Isolation Barrier
- Low Profile BGA Package
The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.
- About Analog Devices
- Analog Devices (NASDAQ: ADI) designs and manufactures semiconductor products and solutions. We enable our customers to interpret the world around us by intelligently bridging the physical and digital with unmatched technologies that sense, measure and connect. Visit http://www.analog.com
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson