3.3V/5V 4Mbps CAN Transceiver Provides ±60V Fault Protection for Improved System Reliability
Linear Technology Corporation introduces the LTC2875, an exceptionally rugged, high voltage tolerant CAN (controller area network) transceiver to greatly reduce field failures without the need of costly external protection devices. In practical CAN systems, installation cross-wiring faults, ground voltage faults or lightning induced surge voltages can cause overvoltage conditions that exceed absolute maximum ratings of typical transceivers. The LTC2875 features ±60V overvoltage fault and ±25kV HBM ESD protection on the data transmission lines, protecting bus pins during operation and shutdown. Whether a circuit is transmitting, receiving or powered off, the LTC2875 tolerates any voltage within ±60V without damage, increasing the robustness of typical CAN networks.
CAN bus systems are becoming increasingly popular in industrial controls, instrumentation networks and automotive electronics. The CAN bus has a well defined protocol stack, with support for standalone controllers, FPGAs and ASICs, making implementation easier over alternative interfaces, such as RS485. The LTC2875 provides the flexibility to be powered from a 3.3V or 5V rail, which is very useful in industrial applications where a 5V rail may not be present. In addition to the high fault and ESD protection, the device features a low electromagnetic emission (EME) driver with a transmit data (TXD) dominant timer to prevent faulty controllers from clamping the bus, as well as a high electromagnetic immunity (EMI) receiver with an extended ±36V common mode range to enable operation in electrically noisy environments and in the presence of ground loops. The LTC2875 features a high speed data rate of 4Mbps with an adjustable slew rate for data rates as low as 1kbps. A shutdown mode brings all of the LTC2875’s outputs to high impedance and reduces power consumption to 1µA.
The LTC2875 is offered in commercial, industrial, automotive and military (–55°C to 125°C) temperature grades and is available in 3mm × 3mm DFN-8 and SO-8 packages, with industry-standard pinouts. Pricing starts at $1.72 each in 1,000 piece quantities. Visit www.linear.com/product/CAN_Transceivers for more product selection and information.
Summary of Features: LTC2875
- Protected from Overvoltage Line Faults to ±60V
- 3.3V or 5V Supply Voltage
- High Speed Operation up to 4Mbps
- ±25kV ESD Interface Pins, ±8kV All Other Pins
- Active Symmetry Control Driver with Variable Slew Rate & SPLIT Pin for Low Electromagnetic Emission (EME)
- Extended Common Mode Range (±36V)
- Transmit Data (TXD) Dominant Timeout Function
- Micropower Shutdown Mode
- 3mm × 3mm DFN-8 & SO-8 Packages
±60V Fault Protected CAN Transceiver with 25kV ESD
The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.
- About Analog Devices
- Innovation, performance, and excellence are the cultural pillars on which Analog Devices has built one of the longest standing, highest growth companies within the technology sector. Acknowledged industry-wide as the world leader in data conversion and signal conditioning technology, Analog Devices serves over 60,000 customers, representing virtually all types of electronic equipment. Analog Devices is headquartered in Norwood, Massachusetts, with design and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. Analog Devices is included in the S&P 500 Index.
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson