Analog Devices Unveils New Class of Data Converters That Set 14-bit, GSPS Performance Standard
Breakthrough performance, bandwidth, integrated functionality drive applications to direct RF samplingMay 13 2014 - Norwood, MA
Analog Devices, Inc. (NASDAQ: ADI), the world’s data converter market share leader*, announced today the immediate availability of the dual-channel, 1.25-V,14-bit, 1-GSPS AD9680 A/D converter featuring the best noise and dynamic range performance in its class enabling the trend for direct RF sampling in communications, instrumentation and military/aerospace applications. Its noise density of -154 dBFs/Hz is the lowest in the industry. The breakthrough performance, bandwidth and integrated functionality of ADI’s wideband RF data acquisition technology allows for better signal extraction in congested RF environments over a wider bandwidth than ever before. The AD9680 is interoperable with FPGAs from major manufacturers and supported with known good configurations. The AD9680 combined with the recently announced 12-bit, 2-GSPS AD9625 A/D converter, demonstrate ADI’s innovation in providing leading edge offerings driving the trend toward direct RF sampling.
- Order AD9680 samples, evaluation boards or download data sheet
- Buy and evaluate today: Digi-Key Corp. and Mouser Electronics stock inventory of evaluation boards.
- Learn more about FPGA reference designs with Altera and Xilinx
- Get questions answered by ADI engineers on EngineerZone™, ADI’s online technical support community
The AD9680 A/D converter allows more degrees of freedom for system designers trading off signal bandwidth, noise and linearity because it can digitize a DC to 2-GHz input signal with an accompanying dynamic range performance that was previously unavailable on the open market. Implementing a direct RF sampling architecture eliminates analog down-conversion stages and their associated noise and cost, and allows more front-end configuration and tuning to be accomplished entirely in the digital domain. With the AD9680 designers can increase signal sensitivity and bandwidth data rate, while enabling the use of an advanced reconfigurable data acquisition or radio platform. The A/D converter is available with an evaluation board design environment and reference designs for rapid system prototyping and board-level design and layout.
About the AD9680 GSPS A/D Converter: Highest Dynamic Range/Best Noise Performance
The AD9680 was designed for sampling wide bandwidth analog signals up to 2 GHz and features the industry’s best dynamic range and noise performance over its rated bandwidth range. When converting a 1-GHz input, the converter achieves spurious-free dynamic range (SFDR) performance of 80 dBc and 61.5-dBFS signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) while consuming 1.65 W of total power per channel. Integrated functionality includes digital signal processing blocks and a configurable JESD204B interface, allowing designers to create advanced reconfigurable radio platforms that meet bandwidth and cost requirements across multiple systems. Higher speed grades are scheduled.
AD9680 Key Features
- Wide full power bandwidth supports RF sampling of signals to 2 GHz
- Buffered inputs with programmable input termination eases filter design and implementation
- Four integrated wide-band decimation filter and numerically controlled oscillators (NCO) blocks support multi-band, multi-standard receivers
- Reference design platform simplifies prototyping
Evaluation Board Environment to Speed Prototyping and Design
Each GSPS A/D converter is supported by an evaluation board with an FPGA Mezzanine Card (FMC) connector, software, tools, SPI controller and reference designs. ADI’s VisualAnalog™ software package combines a powerful set of simulation and data analysis tools with a user-friendly graphical interface allowing designers to customize their input signal and data analysis. The high-speed A/D converter SPI controller tool allows users to control advanced features with SPI capability. An industry first data capture board supporting JESD204B lane rates at 12.5 Gbps is also available.
Pricing and Availability Product Availability
Speed Grades Price Each Per 1K
64-lead LFCSPv 9mm × 9mm
AD9680EBZ Evaluation Boards
ADS7-V1EBZ Data Capture Board
- About Analog Devices
- Innovation, performance, and excellence are the cultural pillars on which Analog Devices has built one of the longest standing, highest growth companies within the technology sector. Acknowledged industry-wide as the world leader in data conversion and signal conditioning technology, Analog Devices serves over 60,000 customers, representing virtually all types of electronic equipment. Analog Devices is headquartered in Norwood, Massachusetts, with design and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. Analog Devices is included in the S&P 500 Index.
* Analog Devices, Inc. leads the worldwide data converter market with a 48.5 percent share, according to industry analyst firm Databeans, Inc. in its market research report titled “2012 Analog.” Analog Devices’ share is larger than the combined market share of the nearest eight competitors.
EngineerZone is a trademark of Analog Devices, Inc.
To subscribe to Analog Dialogue, ADI's monthly technical journal, visit: http://www.analog.com/subscribe
Editor's Contact Information
- Bob Olson