I2C Battery Gas Gauge Operates up to 20V
Linear Technology Corporation introduces the LTC2943 multicell battery gas gauge which makes direct measurements of 3.6V to 20V battery stacks. Absolutely no level shifting circuitry on the supply and measurement pins is required to interface with multicell voltages, so total current consumption is minimized and measurement accuracy is preserved. The LTC2943 is a true high voltage gas gauge that measures charge, voltage, current and temperature to within 1% accuracy—all of the essential parameters required to accurately assess battery state of charge (SoC).
The LTC2943 is best suited for multicell applications, including professional power tools and portable medical equipment. Battery current is measured by monitoring the voltage across an external, high side sense resistor and integrating this information to infer charge. A bidirectional analog integrator accommodates either current polarity (battery charge or discharge), and a programmable prescaler allows for a wide range of battery capacities. Charge, voltage, current and temperature information are communicated to the host system over an I2C/SMBus-compatible 2-wire interface that is also used to configure the gas gauge. The host can program high and low thresholds for all measured parameters, which if tripped, signal an alert using either the SMBus alert protocol or by setting a register flag.
The LTC2943 is offered in commercial and industrial versions, supporting operating temperature ranges from 0°C to 70°C and –40°C to 85°C, respectively. The LTC2943 is available today in a small RoHS compliant, 8-pin 3mm × 3mm DFN package. Pricing starts at $2.35 each in 1,000 piece quantities. Please visit www.linear.com/product/LTC2943 for more product selection and information.
Summary of Features: LTC2943
- Measures Accumulated Battery Charge & Discharge
- 3.6V to 20V Operating Range for Multicell Applications
- 14-Bit ADC Measures Voltage, Current & Temperature
- 1% Charge, Voltage & Current Accuracy
- ±50mV Sense Voltage Range
- High-Side Sense
- I2C/SMBus Interface
- Configurable Alert Output/Charge Complete Input
- Quiescent Current <120µA
- Small 8-Pin 3mm × 3mm DFN package
20V Battery Gas Gauge for Multicell Battery Systems
- About Analog Devices
- Innovation, performance, and excellence are the cultural pillars on which Analog Devices has built one of the longest standing, highest growth companies within the technology sector. Acknowledged industry-wide as the world leader in data conversion and signal conditioning technology, Analog Devices serves over 60,000 customers, representing virtually all types of electronic equipment. Analog Devices is headquartered in Norwood, Massachusetts, with design and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. Analog Devices is included in the S&P 500 Index.
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson