250mA Wide VIN Range Buck-Boost Charge Pump Offers Low Conducted and Radiated Noise
Linear Technology Corporation announces the LTC3245, a versatile 250mA high voltage buck-boost charge pump. The LTC3245 uses switched capacitor fractional conversion to maintain regulation over a wide range of input voltage from 2.7V to 38V and produces a regulated output of 3.3V, 5V or adjustable (2.5V to 5V). Internal circuitry automatically selects the conversion ratio (2:1, 1:1 or 1:2) to optimize efficiency as input voltage and load conditions vary. Low operating current (18μA with no load, 4μA in shutdown) and low external device count (three small ceramic capacitors and no inductors) make the LTC3245 ideally suited for low power, space constrained automotive/industrial applications such as automotive ECU/CAN transceiver supplies, industrial housekeeping supplies and efficient low power 12V to 5V conversion.
The LTC3245’s unique constant frequency architecture with reduced switching edge rates provides lower conducted and radiated noise compared to conventional switching regulators. The device has pin selectable Burst Mode operation which allows the user to trade off low output ripple for better efficiency/lower quiescent current. Other IC features include low external parts count with ceramic capacitor stability, soft-start circuitry to prevent excessive current flow during startup, plus short circuit and thermal protection.
The LTC3245 is available in a low-profile (0.75mm) 3mm × 4mm 12-lead DFN with backside thermal pad and a 12-lead MSOP package with backside thermal pad. E- and I-grade operating junction temperature is -40°C to +125°C, while H-grade is -40°C to +150°C. 1000-piece pricing for the E grade starts at $2.80 each, and devices are available from stock. For more information, visit www.linear.com/product/LTC3245.
Summary of Features: LTC3245
- 2.7V to 38V VIN Range
- IQ = 18µA Operating; 4µA in Shutdown
- 12V to 5V Efficiency = 81%
- Multimode Operation (2:1, 1:1, 1:2) with Automatic Mode Switching
- Low Noise, Constant Frequency Operation
- IOUT = 250mA (Maximum)
- Pin Selectable Burst Mode® Operation
- VOUT: Fixed 3.3V, 5V or Adjustable
- Over-Temperature and Short-Circuit Protection
- Operating Junction Temperature: 150°C Maximum
- Thermally Enhanced 12-Pin MSOP and Low Profile 12-Pin (3mm × 4mm) DFN Packages
Low Noise High Voltage Buck-Boost Charge Pump
- About Analog Devices
- Innovation, performance, and excellence are the cultural pillars on which Analog Devices has built one of the longest standing, highest growth companies within the technology sector. Acknowledged industry-wide as the world leader in data conversion and signal conditioning technology, Analog Devices serves over 60,000 customers, representing virtually all types of electronic equipment. Analog Devices is headquartered in Norwood, Massachusetts, with design and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. Analog Devices is included in the S&P 500 Index.
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson