2.5A, 15V Synchronous Boost Regulator Offers 95% Efficiency, 3MHz Switching & Output Disconnect in a 3mm × 4mm DFN
Linear Technology Corporation announces the LTC3122, a 3MHz current-mode, synchronous boost DC/DC converter with integrated output disconnect. Its internal 2.5A switches deliver output voltages as high as 15V from an input voltage range of 1.8V at start-up (0.5V when running) to 5.5V, making it ideal for battery or standard 3.3V and 5V power sources. The LTC3122 can deliver up to 800mA of continuous output current at 12V from a 5V input. Pin-selected Burst Mode® operation lowers quiescent current to only 25µA, providing extended battery run time in handheld applications. The combination of its thermally enhanced 3mm × 4mm DFN-12 (or MSOP-12) package and a constant switching frequency of up to 3MHz enables the designer to balance PCB solution size with required efficiency.
The LTC3122 has internal synchronous switches with an RDS(ON) of only 121mΩ (N-channel) and 188mΩ (P-channel) to deliver efficiencies as high as 95%. Output disconnect allows the output voltage to be completely discharged in shutdown and also eliminates large inrush currents during start-up, minimizing stress on the input supply. The LTC3122 also regulates the output voltage when the input voltage exceeds the output voltage, making the device compatible with any battery chemistry. For applications demanding the lowest possible noise operation, the LTC3122 can be set via an external pin to operate in constant PWM mode. Additional features include external synchronization, output overvoltage protection and robust short-circuit protection. The LTC3122 is an ideal solution for boost applications requiring outputs up to 15V, where high efficiency, small solution size and high reliability are defining factors.
LTC3122EDE and LTC3122EMSE are both available from stock in 12-lead 3mm × 4mm DFN or thermally enhanced MSOP packages, respectively. 1,000-piece pricing starts at $2.33 each. Industrial-grade versions, the LTC3122IDE and LTC3122IMSE, are guaranteed to operate over the –40°C to 125°C operating junction temperature range and are priced at $2.73 each in 1,000-piece quantities. All versions are available from stock. For more information, visit www.linear.com/product/LTC3122.
Summary of Features: LTC3122
- VIN Range: 1.8V to 5.5V, 500mV after Start-Up
- Output Voltage Range: 2.2V to 15V
- 800mA Output Current for VIN = 5V & VOUT = 12V
- Output Disconnects from Input when Shut Down
- Synchronous Rectification: Up to 95% Efficiency
- Inrush Current Limit
- Up to 3MHz Adjustable Switching Frequency Synchronizable to External Clock
- Selectable Burst Mode® Operation: 25µA IQ
- Output Overvoltage Protection
- <1µA in Shutdown
- 12-Lead, 3mm × 4mm × 0.75mm Thermally Enhanced DFN & MSOP Packages
Compact, Efficient 2.5A Synchronous Booster Delivers Outputs to 15V
- About Analog Devices
- Innovation, performance, and excellence are the cultural pillars on which Analog Devices has built one of the longest standing, highest growth companies within the technology sector. Acknowledged industry-wide as the world leader in data conversion and signal conditioning technology, Analog Devices serves over 60,000 customers, representing virtually all types of electronic equipment. Analog Devices is headquartered in Norwood, Massachusetts, with design and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. Analog Devices is included in the S&P 500 Index.
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson