Analog Devices’ DOCSIS 3.0-Compliant RF D/A Converter Operates at One-Third the Power of Competing Devices and Reduces PCB Space by 25 Percent
ADI’s 14-bit AD9129 and 11-bit AD9119 D/A converters synthesize the full cable spectrum to reduce component count and simplify cable infrastructure design.Oct 16 2012 -Norwood, MA
Analog Devices, Inc. (ADI), a global leader in high-performance signal processing technology and the data converter market share leader*, today introduced two RF (radio frequency) D/A converters that are able to synthesize the entire downstream (transmit) cable spectrum from a single RF port. Supporting data rates up to 2.8 GSPS, the single-channel, 14-bit AD9129 and 11-bit AD9119 RF D/A converters allow cable operators to reduce the total system power and component count of CATV (CMTS) infrastructure equipment, simplify system design, and lower total bill of material costs. The new RF D/A converters support from one to as many as 158 CATV carriers and include an optional 2× interpolation filter that reduces output filtering complexity by effectively increasing the D/A converter update rate by a factor of two. In its Mix-Mode™ super-Nyquist operation, the AD9129 can reconstruct spectrally-pure RF carriers in the 2nd and 3rd Nyquist zones, eliminating a mixing stage while still maintaining exceptional dynamic range at up to 4.2 GHz.
"The AD9129 RF D/A converter utilizes ADI's patented quad-switch architecture to synthesize the full dc-to-1.4 GHz baseband output spectrum, which will greatly simplify and improve downstream DOCSIS 3.0-compliant transmitter design," said Carlton Lane, marketing manager, High-speed D/A Converter group, Analog Devices. "This D/A converter’s new level of performance and functionality enables cable infrastructure equipment manufacturers to implement the complete downstream signal chain in a smaller footprint, at one-third the power, and using fewer signal chain components. These are all important design considerations in today’s CMTS service environment."
More About the AD9129 14-bit RF D/A Converter
The AD9129 RF D/A converter enables industry leading direct RF synthesis performance with minimal loss of output power across its output spectrum. The device also enables dual-edge clocking operation, effectively increasing the converter update rate to 5.6 GSPS when configured for Mix-Mode or 2× interpolation mode. Its high dynamic range and bandwidth enable multicarrier generation up to 4.2 GHz. The device dissipates only 1.1 W at the full 2.8-GSPS D/A converter update rate.
The AD9129 includes a dual-port, source-synchronous LVDS (low-voltage differential signaling) interface that simplifies the data interface to a host FPGA or ASIC. On chip DLLs (delay-locked loops) optimize timing between different clock domains, while an SPI (serial peripheral interface) is used to configure the AD9129 and monitor the status of read-back registers.
AD9129/19 Single-channel D/A Converters Features and Benefits:
Pricing, Availability and Complementary Products
Product Sample Availability Production Release Resolution(Bits) Sample Rate(GSPS) Price Each In 1,000 Quantities Packaging AD9129 Now November 30 14 2.8 $59.00(Pb-free) 160-Ball CSP-BGA AD9129 Now November 30 14 2.8 $69.00(PbSn) 160-Ball CSP-BGA AD9119 Now November 30 11 2.8 $49.00(Pb-free) 160-Ball CSP-BGA
Other Analog Devices parts that are complementary to the AD9129 RF D/A converter are the ADF4351 wideband PLL (phase-locked loop) for use as the D/A converter clock, and the ADCLK925 low-jitter clock buffer.
- Download data sheet, view product page, and request samples: http://www.analog.com/AD9129
- Download data sheet, view product page, and request samples: http://www.analog.com/AD9119
- D/A converter update rate of up to 5.6 GSPS
- Direct RF synthesis @ 2.8 GSPS data rate
- DC-to-1.4 GHz in baseband mode
- DC-to-1.0 GHz in 2× interpolation mode
- 1.4-to-4.2 GHz in Mix-Mode
- 1 to 158 DOCSIS 3.0 carriers: 8 QAM carrier ACLR = > 69 dBc
- By-passable 2× interpolation filters
- Single/multicarrier IF or RF synthesis
- Low power: 1.1 W @ 2.8 GSPS (1.3 W @ 5.6 GSPS)
- Get support at ADI’s EngineerZone™ online DAC technical support community: http://ez.analog.com/community/data_converters/high-speed_dacs
- Learn more about ADI’s high-speed D/A converter product portfolio at: http://www.analog.com/en/digital-to-analog-converters/high-speed-da-converters/products/index.html
- About Analog Devices
- Innovation, performance, and excellence are the cultural pillars on which Analog Devices has built one of the longest standing, highest growth companies within the technology sector. Acknowledged industry-wide as the world leader in data conversion and signal conditioning technology, Analog Devices serves over 60,000 customers, representing virtually all types of electronic equipment. Analog Devices is headquartered in Norwood, Massachusetts, with design and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. Analog Devices is included in the S&P 500 Index.
Editor's Contact Information
- Jim Surber