2.5MHz Boost/Inverter DC/DC Converter with 2A/42V Switch & Synchronization
Linear Technology Corporation announces the LT3580, a current mode, fixed frequency step-up DC/DC converter with an internal 2A, 42V switch. It operates from an input voltage range of 2.5V to 32V, making it suitable for applications with input sources ranging from a single-cell Li-Ion to automotive inputs. The LT3580 can be configured as either a boost, SEPIC or an inverting converter. Its switching frequency can be programmed, via a single resistor or synchronized to an external clock, between 200kHz and 2.5MHz, enabling designers to minimize external component sizes and to avoid "noise critical" frequency bands. The combination of a 3mm × 3mm DFN package (or MSOP-8E) and tiny externals ensures a very compact footprint while minimizing solution cost.
The LT3580's low VCESAT switch, 0.3V at 1.5A, delivers efficiencies of up to 89%. Under-voltage lockout (UVLO) is user adjustable for optimal system performance. A single feedback resistor sets the output voltage, minimizing external components. Other features include external synchronization capability, internal soft-start and thermal shutdown protection.
The LT3580EDD is available in a 3mm × 3mm DFN-8 package. Pricing starts at $2.00 each for 1,000 piece quantities. The LT3580MS8E is also available in a thermally enhanced MSOP-8 package. Pricing starts at $2.10 each for 1,000 piece quantities. Industrial temperature (–40°C to 125°C) versions, the LT3580IDD and the LT3580IMS8E, are also available from stock. Pricing starts at $2.40 and $2.52 each, respectively, for 1,000 piece quantities.
Summary of Features: LT3580
- 2A Internal Power Switch
- Adjustable Switching Frequency
- Single Feedback Resistor Sets VOUT
- Synchronizable to External Clock from 200kHz to 2.5MHz
- High Gain SHDN Pin Accepts Slowly Varying Input Signals
- Wide Input Voltage Range: 2.5V to 32V
- Low VCESAT Switch: 300mV at 1.5A (Typical)
- Integrated Soft-Start Function
- Easily Configurable as a Boost or Inverting Converter
- User Configurable Undervoltage Lockout (UVLO)
- Tiny 8-Lead 3mm × 3mm DFN and 8-Lead MSOP Packages
2A, 42V Boost, Inverting or SEPIC DC/DC Converter
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson