Fast 4A 1-Cell Li-Ion SMBus Battery Charger Needs No Microcontroller
Linear Technology Corporation introduces the LTC4101, a fast, precision smart battery charger controller that operates with or without a host microcontroller. The IC is 100% compliant with Rev. 1.1 SMBus specifications and meets the requirements of Smart Battery System (SBS) Level 2 charging functions. It is optimized for 3V to 5.5V charging voltages, suitable for 1-cell Li-Ion and 3- to 4-cell nickel-chemistry batteries. It is capable of fast charging up to 4A with 0.8% voltage accuracy and 4% current accuracy. Synchronous switching operation provides high efficiency charging from a wide input supply voltage range of 6V to 28V. The LTC4101 is housed in a small 24-pin SSOP package and is ideal for use in portable computers and instruments.
For flexibility, the LTC4101 integrates a 10-bit DAC for charge current programming and an 11-bit DAC for charge voltage programming. Using the charger's input current limit feature, a maximum charge rate is achieved without overloading the input supply, such as a wall adapter. The SMBus interface remains alive when the input power is removed and responds to all SMBus activity directed to it, including SafetySignal status, which in tandem with the IC automatically monitors the battery temperature, connectivity and battery type information.
The LTC4101 is rated for operation from –40°C to 85°C. Pricing starts at $5.00 each in 1,000-piece quantities.
Summary of Features: LTC4101
- 100% Compliant (Rev. 1.1) SMBus Support Operates with or without Host Microcontroller
- High Efficiency Synchronous Buck Switching Charger
- Fast 4A Charge Current Capability
- Optimized 3V to 5.5V Charging Voltage Range
- SMBus Accelerator Improves SMBus Timing
- AC Adapter Current Limit Maximizes Charge Rate
- ±0.8% Voltage Accuracy; ±4% Current Accuracy
- 0.5V Dropout Voltage; Maximum Duty Cycle >98%
- Small 24-Pin Narrow SSOP Package
Smart Battery Charger Controller
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson