The FlexMC Motor Control Development PlatformTM is a rapid development system for any motor control solution. The FlexMC KitTM enables you to accelerate time-to-market and increase performance with powerful model-based design tools. This solution combines hardware and software with out-of-the-box functionality for a permanent magnet synchronous motor (PMSM) with hall sensor, encoder, or sensorless feedback.
The FlexMC Kit has the hardware and software required to spin the kit’s motor under open or closed loop speed control in conjunction with an ADSP-CM408 EZ Kit. The software is provided as an executable file which can be flashed to the ADSP-CM408 processor using the ADI serial boot-loader utility. A .NET-based graphical user interface (GUI) is provided to enable motor start-stop, speed control, and data visualization. Sample C-code is also provided for open loop Volts/Hertz control of a motor.
The FlexMC Kit hardware comes in two variants. The kit option includes a PMSM motor with encoder, a 24V motor drive board, and a power supply. The board-only option includes the motor drive board only. In this case users can connect their own motor and power source. In both cases, the power board connects directly to an Analog Devices ADSP-CM408 Mixed-Signal Control Processor EZ Kit (sold separately). Easy connection to motors and the CM408 EZ Kit make this system perfect for your prototyping needs.
Additional rapid prototyping MATLAB/Simulink tools and support can be obtained by purchasing this kit from Boston Engineering
Low Voltage Kit Contents
- Low Voltage Motor Control Board, 12-36V, 10A
- 24V, 3-phase PMSM (not included in board-only option)
- Quadrature Incremental Encoder (not included in board-only option)
- SOLD SEPERATELY: ADI ADSP-CM408 EZ Kit
- Executable Demo Application
- Sample application C code
Note: To get started, download software and to get technical support on the FlexMC kit go to EngineerZone:
Sample C Code for EV-MCS-LVDRV-Z platform
Getting started with the EV-MCS-LVDRV-Z motor control platform
The FlexMC Kit has the hardware and software required to spin the motor under open or closed loop speed control. With the FlexMC Kit, you model your system in MATLAB and Simulink, generate the C code, and then deploy. Utilizing system modeling and design concepts, the FlexMC Kit also contains libraries in MATLAB and Simulink for additional access to proven methodologies. The FlexMC Kit hardware includes a PMSM motor with encoder and a Boston Engineering universal AC input drive board that connects directly to an Analog Devices ADSP-CM408 Mixed-Signal Control Processor EZ Kit. Users can prototype with PC power using MATLAB and Simulink, then deploy with the FlexMC Kit. Easy connection to motors and the ADSP-CM408 EZ Kit make this system perfect for your prototyping needs.
Universal AC Kit Contents
- Universal AC Voltage Motor Control Board, 95-250VAC, 400W
- 3-phase Brushless PMSM
- Quadrature Incremental Encoder'
- SOLD SEPERATELY: ADSP-CM408 EZ-KIT
- Simulink Libraries
- C Libraries
- Demo Application
Note: The FlexMC Motor Control Universal AC Kit is manufactured, distributed and supported by Boston Engineering (BE) exclusively. BE assumes all responsibility for the proper installation and operation of the kit.
The isolated inverter platform and isolated inverter platform with full featured IGBT drivers offer a power board that runs from a dc input and provides a three-phase variable frequency, variable voltage, and variable dead-time PWM output to a three-phase motor or load. The inverter is provided as an open loop platform, but feedback signals are provided to enable the application developer to close the control loop. For the isolated inverter platform (EV-MCS-ISOINV-Z), two isolated current,phase to phase and dc bus voltage feedback signals are provided to the control side of the board via sigma-delta modulators, and these can be used for development of control algorithms. The inverter is made up of a three-phase six-IGBT bridge, with the IGBTs rated at 1200V and driven by three dual isolated gate drivers (ADuM4223). For the isolated inverter platform with full featured IGBT drivers (EV-MCS-ISOINVEP-Z), three isolated phase current and dc bus voltage feedback signals are provided to the control side of the board via sigma-delta modulators, and these can be used for development of control algorithms. The inverter is made up of a three-phase six-IGBT bridge, with the IGBTs rated at 1200V and driven by six individual isolated gate drivers (ADuM4135) with desaturation protection and Miller clamp. For both platforms, a DC – rather than AC- input is provided to allow flexibility on the dc bus voltage level (rather than it being limited to the ac line peak).
The board is designed to work from a DC supply in the range 24Vdc-800Vdc.. The power board is rated up to 2kVA without forced air cooling. Additional power throughput can be achieved with fan cooling added. A series connected diode implements a half-wave rectifier at the input, so if needed, the power board can be driven from an AC supply. However output power is limited in this case. If a full AC front-end is required, the inverter platform can be utilized in conjunction with the ADP1047 evaluation board up to 300W, or the ADP1048 evaluation board up to 600W. An isolated I2C interface is provided on the inverter board so that the ADP104x evaluation board can be easily controlled by the same processor/FPGA interface. The inverter kit has the hardware and software required to spin a three-phase motor under open loop speed control in conjunction with an ADSP-CM408 EZ Kit. The demo software is provided as an IAR Embedded Workbench C project or an executable file which can be flashed to the ADSP-CM408 processor using the ADI serial boot-loader utility. A .NET-based graphical user interface (GUI) is provided to enable motor start-stop, open loop Volts/Hertz speed control, and data visualization.
- Isolated Inverter Board, 24-800Vdc, 2Kva (2 Versions)
- Adapter board for connection to EZkit
- USB to serial adapter for using GUI
- SOLD SEPERATELY: ADI ADSP-CM408 EZ Kit
- IAR Embedded Workbench C project
- Executable Demo Application
- .NET-based Graphical User Interface (GUI)
- To download software and to get technical support on the isolated inverter platform with basic gate drivers go to https://ez.analog.com/docs/DOC-12105
- To download software and to get technical support on the isolated inverter platform with full featured IGBT drivers go to https://ez.analog.com/docs/DOC-12608
Two motors can be driven at the same time, each motor having its separate power supply. The system incorporates high quality power sources; reliable power, control, and feedback signals isolation; accurate measurement of motor current & voltage signals; high speed interfaces for control signals to allow fast controller response; industrial Ethernet high speed interfaces; single ended Hall, differential Hall, encoder and resolver interfaces; digital position sensors interface; flexible control with a FPGA/SoC interface.
The kit consists of two boards: a controller board and a drive board. An optional AD-DYNO2-EBZ dynamometer can also be purchased through Avnet and is intended to be an extension of the drive system.
- Digital board for interfacing with the low and high voltage drive boards
- Compatible with all Xilinx FPGA platforms with FMC LPC or HPC connectors
- FMC signals voltage adaptation interface for seamless operation on all FMC voltage levels
- Fully isolated digital control and feedback signals
- Isolated Xilinx XADC interface
- 2 x Gbit Ethernet PHYs for high speed industrial communication, with 3rd party EtherCAT support
- Single ended Hall, Differential Hall, Encoder, Resolver interfaces
- Digital sensors interfaces
- BISS Interface
- Drives motors up to 48V @ 20A
- Drives 2 motors simultaneously
- High frequency drive stage implemented with ADI isolated gate drivers
- Supported motor types
Stepper (bipolar / unipolar)
- Integrated over current protection
- Reverse voltage protection
- Current and Voltage measurement using isolated ADCs
- BEMF zero cross detection for sensorless control of PMSM or BLDC motors
- Separate voltage supplies for the 2 motors so that the motors don't influence each other
Dynamometer System with Embedded Control
- Two BLDC motors connected by a rigid couple in a dyno setup, which can be used to test real-time motor control performance.
- One BLDC motor acts as an electronically adjustable load and is driven by the embedded control system. This motor can be directly connected to the FMC motor drive to get complex / active loads. The load can be driven also by the AD-FMCMOTCON2-EBZ to implement dynamic load profiles.
- The other BLDC motor is driven by the FMC motor drive.
- Measurement and display of load motor current
- Measurement and display of load motor speed
- External control using Analog Discovery and MathWorks Instrumentation Control Toolbox
Example reference designs showing how to use the platform with Xilinx® FPGAs or SoCs and high performance control algorithms from Mathworks® are provided together with the hardware. Information on the FMC board, and how to use it, the design package that surrounds it, and the software which can make it work, can be found by clicking the software link.