30 MHz TO 2 GHz Quadrature Demodulator
The ADL5387 is a broadband quadrature I/Q demodulator that covers an RF/IF input frequency range from 30 MHz to 2 GHz. With a NF = 13.2 dB, IP1dB = 12.7 dBm, and IIP3 = 32 dBm @ 450 MHz, the ADL5387 demodulator offers outstanding dynamic range suitable for the demanding infrastructure direct-conversion requirements. The differential RF/IF inputs provide a well-behaved broadband input impedance of 50 Ω and are best driven from a 1:1 balun for optimum performance.
Ultrabroadband operation is achieved with a divide-by-2 method for local oscillator (LO) quadrature generation. Over a wide range of LO levels, excellent demodulation accuracy is achieved with amplitude and phase balances ~0.05 dB and ~0.4°, respectively. The demodulated in-phase (I) and quadrature (Q) differential outputs are fully buffered and provide a voltage conversion gain of >4 dB. The buffered baseband outputs are capable of driving a 2 V p-p differential signal into 200 Ω.
The fully balanced design minimizes effects from second-order distortion. The leakage from the LO port to the RF port is <−70 dBc. Differential dc-offsets at the I and Q outputs are <10 mV. Both of these factors contribute to the excellent IIP2 specifications > 60 dBm.
The ADL5387 operates off a single 4.75 V to 5.25 V supply. The supply current is adjustable with an external resistor from the BIAS pin to ground.
The ADL5387 is fabricated using the Analog Devices, Inc. advanced silicon-germanium bipolar process and is available in a 24-lead exposed paddle LFCSP.
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
ADL5387-EVALZ is a fully populated, 4-layer, FR4-based evaluation board designed to allow easy evaluation of all of the features of the ADL5387. The evaluation board integrates bypassable transformers to allow single ended or differential baseband I and Q outputs and the evaluation board requires only a single supply within the range of 4.75 V to 5.25 V.
Recommended Baseband Driver Amplifiers
- For variable gain and programmable baseband filters: ADRF6510, ADRF6516.
- For selectable gains of 1, 2 or 3: ADA4950-1, ADA4950-2.
- For low noise drivers in low voltage (1.8V) ADC applications: ADA4930-1, ADA4930-2.
- For a digital programmable VGA: AD8366.
- For a differential RF/IF amplifier: ADL5562, ADL5565.
Recommended Dual Analog-to-Digital Converters
- For 16-bit performance, low power and high sampling rate: AD9268, AD9650.
- For 14-bit performance, low power and high sampling rate: AD9258, AD9251.
- For 16-bit performance, continuous time sigma delta architecture with integrated QEC: AD9262.
- For 12-bit performance, low power, low cost and ease of use: AD9231.
- For 16-bit performance, multistage differential pipeline architecture with integrated quadrature error correction (QEC): AD9269.
Product Selection Guide
RF, Microwave, and Millimeter Wave IC Selection Guide 2017
Using a unique combination of design skills, systems understanding, and process technologies, Analog Devices offers...
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
- 24 week(s) ago in RF and Microwave
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.