Features and Benefits
- Integrated fractional-N phase-locked loop (PLL)
- RF input frequency range: 700 MHz to 2700 MHz
- Internal local oscillator (LO) frequency range: 350 MHz to 2850 MHz
- Input P1dB: 17 dBm
- Output IP3: 45 dBm
- Single-pole four-throw (SP4T) RF input switch
- Digital step attenuator (DSA) range:
0 dB to 15 dB
- Integrated RF tunable balun allowing single-ended 50 Ω input
- Multicore integrated voltage controlled oscillator (VCO)
- Digitally programmable variable gain amplifier (DGA) −3 dB bandwidth: >600 MHz
- Balanced 150 Ω IF output impedance
- Programmable via 3-wire serial port interface (SPI)
- Single 5 V supply
The ADRF6620 is a highly integrated active mixer and synthesizer that is ideally suited for wireless receiver subsystems. The feature rich device consists of a high linearity broadband active mixer; an integrated fractional-N PLL; low phase noise, multicore VCO; and IF DGA. In addition, the ADRF6620 integrates a 4:1 RF switch, an on-chip tunable RF balun, programmable RF attenuator, and low dropout (LDO) regulators. This highly integrated device fits within a small 7 mm × 7 mm footprint.
The high isolation 4:1 RF switch and on-chip tunable RF balun enable the ADRF6620 to support four single-ended 50 Ω terminated RF inputs. A programmable attenuator ensures optimal RF input drive to the high linearity mixer core. The integrated DSA has an attenuation range of 0 dB to 15 dB with a step size of 1 dB.
The ADRF6620 offers two alternatives for generating the differential LO input signal: externally, via a high frequency, low phase noise LO signal, or internally, via the on-chip fractional-N PLL synthesizer. The integrated synthesizer enables continuous LO coverage from 350 MHz to 2850 MHz. The PLL reference input can support a wide frequency range because the divide and multiply blocks can be used to increase or decrease the reference frequency to the desired value before it is passed to the phase frequency detector (PFD).
The integrated high linearity DGA provides an additional gain range from 3 dB to 15 dB in steps of 0.5 dB for maximum flexibility in driving an analog-to-digital converter (ADC).
The ADRF6620 is fabricated using an advanced silicon-germanium BiCMOS process. It is available in a 48-lead, RoHS-compliant, 7 mm × 7 mm LFCSP package with an exposed pad. Performance is specified over the −40°C to +85°C temperature range.
- Wireless receivers
- Digital predistortion (DPD) receivers
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
ADRF6620-EVALZ is a full featured evaluation board allowing all the necessary support circuitry to operate the ADRF6620 in its various configurations. The evaluation board includes an on-board USB to allow for register programming via the SPI port of the ADRF6620. In addition the ADRF6620-EVALZ offers flexibility on how the signals are routed on and off the device to allow for quick evaluation of the individual building blocks. For example, the IF amplifier can be disabled and the signal flow from the RF inputs to mixer outputs can be evaluated independently . Optionally, the IF amplifier can be isolated on its own where the user has access to both the inputs and outputs either differentially or single ended. Finally, for the synthesizer evaluation the ADRF6620-EVALZ integrates a footprint for an optional crystal oscillator for the PLL reference input and the necessary SMA connectors and balun for the single-ended or differential LO outputs. The ADRF6620-EVALZ is a 6 layer, FR-4 based evaluation board, requiring only a single 5V supply. The required software that complements the evaluation board can be found on the ADI webpage.
Features & Benefits
- Full-featured evaluation board for the ADRF6620
- On-board USB for SPI control
- Single +5 V operation
- C# software interface for serial port control
Software & Systems Requirements
Tools & Simulations
ADRF6620 Companion Parts
- For 12-bit, 370 MSPS / 500 MSPS, 1.8 V LVDS output, analog to digital converter: AD9434.
- For 14-bit, 170 MSPS / 250 MSPS, JESD204B, dual analog to digital converter: AD9250.
- For 14-bit, 80 MSPS / 155 MSPS, 1.8 V serial output, analog to digital converter: AD9641.
- For 12-bit, 170 MSPS / 210 / 250 MSPS, 1.8 V LVDS output, analog to digital converter: AD9634.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.