Constant-Frequency, Current-Mode Step-Up DC/DC Controller
The ADP1621 eliminates the use of a current-sense power resistor by measuring the voltage drop across the on resistance of the n-channel MOSFET. This technique, allowed up to a maximum voltage of 30 V at the switch node, maximizes efficiency and reduces cost. For switch-node voltages higher than 30 V or for more accurate current limiting, the CS pin can be connected to a current-sense resistor in the source of the MOSFET. The slope compensation is implemented by an external resistor, allowing a wide range of external components (inductors and MOSFETs), and can be chosen for various switching frequencies and input and output voltages.
The ADP1621 supply input voltage range is 2.9 V to 5.5 V, although higher input voltages are possible with the use of a small-signal NPN pass transistor or a single resistor. The voltage of the power input can be as low as 1 V for fuel cell applications. The switching frequency is set by an external resistor over a range of 100 kHz to 1.5 MHz and can be synchronized to an external clock by using the SDSN pin. The shutdown quiescent current is less than 10 μA. The ADP1621 has a thermal shutdown feature that shuts down the gate driver when the junction temperature reaches approximately 150°C. The internal soft start circuit limits inrush current at startup. The ADP1621 is available in the 10-lead MSOP lead-free package and is specified over the −40°C to +125°C junction temperature range.
- APD bias
- Portable electronic equipment
- Isolated dc/dc converter
- Step-up/step-down dc/dc converter
- LED driver for laptop computer and navigation system
- LCD backlighting
Comparable Parts Click to see all in Parametric Search
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Two motors can be driven at the same time, each motor having its separate power supply. The system incorporates high quality power sources; reliable power, control, and feedback signals isolation; accurate measurement of motor current & voltage signals; high speed interfaces for control signals to allow fast controller response; industrial Ethernet high speed interfaces; single ended Hall, differential Hall, encoder and resolver interfaces; digital position sensors interface; flexible control with a FPGA/SoC interface.
The kit consists of two boards: a controller board and a drive board. An optional AD-DYNO2-EBZ dynamometer can also be purchased through Avnet and is intended to be an extension of the drive system.
- Digital board for interfacing with the low and high voltage drive boards
- Compatible with all Xilinx FPGA platforms with FMC LPC or HPC connectors
- FMC signals voltage adaptation interface for seamless operation on all FMC voltage levels
- Fully isolated digital control and feedback signals
- Isolated Xilinx XADC interface
- 2 x Gbit Ethernet PHYs for high speed industrial communication, with 3rd party EtherCAT support
- Single ended Hall, Differential Hall, Encoder, Resolver interfaces
- Digital sensors interfaces
- BISS Interface
- Drives motors up to 48V @ 20A
- Drives 2 motors simultaneously
- High frequency drive stage implemented with ADI isolated gate drivers
- Supported motor types
Stepper (bipolar / unipolar)
- Integrated over current protection
- Reverse voltage protection
- Current and Voltage measurement using isolated ADCs
- BEMF zero cross detection for sensorless control of PMSM or BLDC motors
- Separate voltage supplies for the 2 motors so that the motors don't influence each other
Dynamometer System with Embedded Control
- Two BLDC motors connected by a rigid couple in a dyno setup, which can be used to test real-time motor control performance.
- One BLDC motor acts as an electronically adjustable load and is driven by the embedded control system. This motor can be directly connected to the FMC motor drive to get complex / active loads. The load can be driven also by the AD-FMCMOTCON2-EBZ to implement dynamic load profiles.
- The other BLDC motor is driven by the FMC motor drive.
- Measurement and display of load motor current
- Measurement and display of load motor speed
- External control using Analog Discovery and MathWorks Instrumentation Control Toolbox
Example reference designs showing how to use the platform with Xilinx® FPGAs or SoCs and high performance control algorithms from Mathworks® are provided together with the hardware. Information on the FMC board, and how to use it, the design package that surrounds it, and the software which can make it work, can be found by clicking the software link.
The isolated inverter platform and isolated inverter platform with full featured IGBT drivers offer a power board that runs from a dc input and provides a three-phase variable frequency, variable voltage, and variable dead-time PWM output to a three-phase motor or load. The inverter is provided as an open loop platform, but feedback signals are provided to enable the application developer to close the control loop. For the isolated inverter platform (EV-MCS-ISOINV-Z), two isolated current,phase to phase and dc bus voltage feedback signals are provided to the control side of the board via sigma-delta modulators, and these can be used for development of control algorithms. The inverter is made up of a three-phase six-IGBT bridge, with the IGBTs rated at 1200V and driven by three dual isolated gate drivers (ADuM4223). For the isolated inverter platform with full featured IGBT drivers (EV-MCS-ISOINVEP-Z), three isolated phase current and dc bus voltage feedback signals are provided to the control side of the board via sigma-delta modulators, and these can be used for development of control algorithms. The inverter is made up of a three-phase six-IGBT bridge, with the IGBTs rated at 1200V and driven by six individual isolated gate drivers (ADuM4135) with desaturation protection and Miller clamp. For both platforms, a DC – rather than AC- input is provided to allow flexibility on the dc bus voltage level (rather than it being limited to the ac line peak).
The board is designed to work from a DC supply in the range 24Vdc-800Vdc.. The power board is rated up to 2kVA without forced air cooling. Additional power throughput can be achieved with fan cooling added. A series connected diode implements a half-wave rectifier at the input, so if needed, the power board can be driven from an AC supply. However output power is limited in this case. If a full AC front-end is required, the inverter platform can be utilized in conjunction with the ADP1047 evaluation board up to 300W, or the ADP1048 evaluation board up to 600W. An isolated I2C interface is provided on the inverter board so that the ADP104x evaluation board can be easily controlled by the same processor/FPGA interface. The inverter kit has the hardware and software required to spin a three-phase motor under open loop speed control in conjunction with an ADSP-CM408 EZ Kit. The demo software is provided as an IAR Embedded Workbench C project or an executable file which can be flashed to the ADSP-CM408 processor using the ADI serial boot-loader utility. A .NET-based graphical user interface (GUI) is provided to enable motor start-stop, open loop Volts/Hertz speed control, and data visualization.
- Isolated Inverter Board, 24-800Vdc, 2Kva (2 Versions)
- Adapter board for connection to EZkit
- USB to serial adapter for using GUI
- SOLD SEPERATELY: ADI ADSP-CM408 EZ Kit
- IAR Embedded Workbench C project
- Executable Demo Application
- .NET-based Graphical User Interface (GUI)
- To download software and to get technical support on the isolated inverter platform with basic gate drivers go to https://ez.analog.com/docs/DOC-12105
- To download software and to get technical support on the isolated inverter platform with full featured IGBT drivers go to https://ez.analog.com/docs/DOC-12608
Power Reference Designs
ADP1621 ±15V Dual-Output SEPIC-Cuk
Power Reference Designs
ADP1621 28V Boost
Iout of at least 0.5 amps (will do more). Simulation results showing stability and transient response.
Power Reference Designs
PRD1205: Quasi-Isolated Flyback
This is a 10V - 14 input isolated flyback converter which uses the ADP1621 controller and an AD8691 operational...
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Didn't find what you were looking for?
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.