Features and Benefits
- Switching Regulator with Bat-Track™ Adaptive Output Control Makes Optimal Use of Limited Power Available from USB Port to Charge Battery and Power Application
- Overvoltage Protection Guards Against Damage
- Bat-Track External Step-Down Switching Regulator Control Maximizes Efficiency from Automotive, Firewire and Other High Voltage Input Sources
- 180mΩ Internal Ideal Diode Plus External Ideal Diode Controller Seamlessly Provide Low Loss PowerPath™ when Input Power is Limited or Unavailable
- Preset 4.2V Charge Voltage with 0.5% Accuracy (4.1V for LTC4098-1)
- 4.1V Float Voltage (LTC4098-1) Improves Battery Life and High Temperature Safety Margin
- Instant-On Operation with Discharged Battery
- 700mA Maximum Load Current from USB Port
- 1.5A Maximum Charge Current with Thermal Limiting
- 20-Lead 3mm × 4mm × 0.75mm QFN Package
The LTC4098/LTC4098-1 are high efficiency USB Power-Path controllers and full-featured Li-Ion/Polymer battery chargers. They seamlessly manage power distribution from multiple sources including USB, wall adapter, automotive, Firewire or other high voltage DC/DC converters, and a Li-Ion/Polymer battery.
The LTC4098/LTC4098-1’s internal switching regulator automatically limits its input current for USB compatibility. For automotive and other high voltage applications, the LTC4098/LTC4098-1 interface with an external switching regulator to provide a high efficiency high voltage power path. Both the USB and the optional high voltage inputs feature Bat-Track optimized charging to provide maximum power to the application and ease thermal issues in high power density applications with input supplies from 5V to as high as 38V.
An overvoltage circuit protects the LTC4098/LTC4098-1 from high voltage damage on the USB/wall adaptor inputs with an N-channel FET and a resistor.
The LTC4098/LTC4098-1 are available in a 20-lead, 3mm × 4mm × 0.75mm QFN surface mount package.
|LTC4098||4.2V (1-cell Li-Ion/Li-Polymer)|
|LTC4098-1||4.1V (1-cell Li-Ion/Li-Polymer)|
|LTC4098-3.6||3.6V (1-cell LiFePO4)|
- Media Players
- Smart Phones
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (4)
Demonstration Circuit 1394A shows how the LT3480 high voltage step-down regulator can be used with the LTC4098 USB-compatible Li-Ion battery charger to design a 2 input source battery charger circuit that also provides power to the load from the LT3480, a 5V wall adapter or the batteries based on available power. The LTC4098 interfaces with a number of ADI switching regulators to provide a high efficiency, high voltage power path. The LT3480 operates from 8V to 38V (60V transients) and provides 2A with a voltage range that is mode and load dependent.
Product Selector Card (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.