Multicell Battery Monitors
Features and Benefits
- Measures Up to 12 Battery Cells in Series
- Stackable Architecture
- Supports Multiple Battery Chemistries and Supercapacitors
- Serial Interface Daisy Chains to Adjacent Devices
- 0.25% Maximum Total Measurement Error
- Engineered for ISO26262 Compliant Systems
- 13ms to Measure All Cells in a System
- Passive Cell Balancing:
- Integrated Cell Balancing MOSFETs
- Ability to Drive External Balancing MOSFETs
- On-board Temperature Sensor and Thermistor Inputs
- 1MHz Serial Interface with Packet Error Checking
- Safe with Random Connection of Cells
- Built-In Self Tests
- Delta-Sigma Converter With Built-In Noise Filter
- Open-Wire Connection Fault Detection
- 12μA Standby Mode Supply Current
- High EMI Immunity
- 44-Lead SSOP Package
The LTC6803 is a 2nd generation, complete battery monitoring IC that includes a 12-bit ADC, a precision voltage reference, a high voltage input multiplexer and a serial interface. Each LTC6803 can measure up to 12 series-connected battery cells or supercapacitors. Using a unique level shifting serial interface, multiple LTC6803-1/LTC6803-3 devices can be connected in series, without opto-couplers or isolators, allowing for monitoring of every cell in a long string of series-connected batteries. Each cell input has an associated MOSFET switch for discharging overcharged cells. The LTC6803-1 connects the bottom of the stack to V– internally. It is pin compatible with the LTC6802-1, providing a drop-in upgrade. The LTC6803-3 separates the bottom of the stack from V–, improving cell 1 measurement accuracy.
The LTC6803 provides a standby mode to reduce supply current to 12μA. Furthermore, the LTC6803 can be powered from an isolated supply, providing a technique to reduce battery stack current draw to zero.
For applications requiring individually addressable serial communications, see the LTC6803-2/LTC6803-4.
|SPI Interface||Isolated V–||LTC6802 Pin Compatible|
- Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicles
- High Power Portable Equipment
- Backup Battery Systems
- Electric Bicycles, Motorcycles, Scooters
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (2)
Tools & Simulations
Product Selector Card (1)
Product Selection Guide (1)
Technical Articles (1)
Press Release (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.