Features and Benefits
- Wide Voltage Range: 4.5V to 55V Input, Up to 55V Output (60V Absolute Maximums)
- Synchronous Buck-Boost DC/DC Controller
- Li-Ion and Lead-Acid Charge Algorithms
- ±0.5% Float Voltage Accuracy
- ±5% Charge Current Accuracy
- Instant-On for Heavily Discharged Batteries
- Ideal Diode Controller Provides Low Loss PowerPath When Input Power is Limited
- Input Voltage Regulation for High Impedance Input Supplies and Solar Panel Peak Power Operation
- Onboard Timer for Protection and Termination
- Bad Battery Detection with Auto-Reset
- NTC Input for Temperature Qualified Charging
- Binary Coded Open-Collector Status Pins
- Low Profile (0.75mm) 38-Pin 5mm × 7mm QFN Package
The LTC4020 is a high voltage power manager providing PowerPath™ instant-on operation and high efficiency battery charging over a wide voltage range. An onboard buck-boost DC/DC controller operates with battery and/or system voltages above, below, or equal to the input voltage.
The LTC4020 seamlessly manages power distribution between battery and converter outputs in response to load variations, battery charge requirements and input power supply limitations.
The LTC4020 battery charger can provide a constant-current/constant-voltage charge algorithm (CC/CV), constant-current charging (CC), or charging with an optimized 4-step, 3-stage lead-acid battery charge profile. Maximum converter and battery charge currents are resistor programmable.
The IC's instant-on operation ensures system load power even with a fully discharged battery. Additional safety features include preconditioning for heavily discharged batteries and an integrated timer for termination and protection.
- Portable Industrial and Medical Equipment
- Solar-Powered Systems
- Military Communications Equipment
- 12V to 24V Embedded Automotive Systems
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (2)
Demonstration circuit 2134A is a high power buck-boost multichemistry battery charger featuring the LTC4020. The board will accept an input voltage between 15V and 55V. The float voltage of the battery output (BAT) is 25.2V, with 6.3A maximum charge current. The converter output (VOUT) has a voltage range of 21V to 28V, with 8A maximum load current. The LTC4020 contains a high efficiency synchronous buck-boost DC/DC controller, and uses a proprietary average current mode architecture.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
Product Selector Card (1)
Press Releases (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.