Features and Benefits
- Single Controller IC Includes Battery Charger Plus DC/DC Converter
- Wall Adapter Voltage May be Above or Below Battery Voltage
- LDO Controller Allows Simultaneous Charging and Regulating from Wall Adapter Input
- Standalone Li-Ion Battery Charger Including Charge Termination, Overvoltage Protection, Shorted-Cell Detection and Battery Recharge
- Selectable 4.1V, 4.2V, 8.2V and 8.4V Float Voltages
- Simple NiMH and NiCd Battery Charger
- Pin Programmable Regulator Burst Mode® Operation and Shutdown for High Efficiency
- High Efficiency Current Mode 300kHz PWM
- Reduced Component Architecture
- Undervoltage Protection and Soft-Start Insures Start-Up with Current Limited Wall Adapter
- Small 24-Pin SSOP Package
The LTC1980 integrates PWM power control for charging a battery and converting the battery voltage to a regulated output or simultaneously charging the battery while powering a system load from an unregulated AC wall adapter. Combining these features into a single IC produces a smaller area and lower cost solution compared to presently available multi-IC solutions. The LTC1980 shares the discrete components for both the battery charger and the DC/DC converter thus minimizing size and cost relative to dual controller solutions. Both the battery charger and DC/DC converter use a current mode flyback topology for high efficiency and excellent transient response. Optional Burst Mode operation and power-down mode allow power density, efficiency and output ripple to be tailored to the application.
The LTC1980 provides a complete Li-Ion battery charger with charge termination timer, preset Li-Ion battery voltages, overvoltage and undervoltage protection, and userprogrammable constant-current charging. Automatic battery recharging, shorted-cell detection, and open-drain C/10 and wall plug detect outputs are also provided. User programming allows NiMH and NiCd battery chemistries to be charged as well.
- Digital Cameras
- Handheld Computers
- Personal Digital Assistants
- 1W to 10W Uninterruptable Power Supplies
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.