Features and Benefits
- ±0.3% accurate, 12-bit ADC for IOUT, VIN, VOUT, and temperature
- 320 ns response time to short circuit
- Shutdown on detection of FET health fault
- Split hotswap and power monitor inputs to allow for additional external ADC filtering
- Constant power foldback for tighter FET SOA protection
- Remote temperature sensing with programmable warning and shutdown thresholds
- Resistor-programmable 5 mV to 25 mV VSENSE current limit
- Programmable start-up current limit
- 1% accurate UV and OV thresholds
- Reports power and energy consumption over time
- Peak detect registers for current, voltage, and power
- See datasheet for additional features
The ADM1278 is a hot swap controller that allows a circuit board to be removed from or inserted into a live backplane. It also features current, voltage, and power readback via an integrated 12-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC), accessed using a PMBus™ interface. The load current is measured using an internal current sense amplifier that measures the voltage across a sense resistor in the power path via the HS+ and HS− pins. A default current limit of 20 mV is set, but this limit can be adjusted, if required, using a resistor divider network from the internal reference voltage to the ISET pin.
The ADM1278 limits the current through the sense resistor by controlling the gate voltage of an external N-channel FET in the power path, via the GATE pin. The sense voltage, and therefore the load current, is maintained below the preset maximum. The ADM1278 protects the external FET by limiting the time that the FET remains on while the current is at its maximum value. This current-limit time is set by the choice of capacitor connected to the TIMER pin. In addition, a constant power foldback scheme is used to control the power dissipation in the MOSFET during power-up and fault conditions. The level of this power, along with the TIMER regulation time, can be set to ensure that the MOSFET remains within the safe operating area (SOA) limits. A programmable start-up current limit is also available for dv/dt power-up.
In case of a short-circuit event, a fast internal overcurrent detector responds within 320 ns and signals the gate to shut down. A 1500 mA pull-down device ensures a fast FET response.
The ADM1278 features overvoltage (OV) and undervoltage (UV) protection, programmed using external resistor dividers on the UV and OV pins. A PWRGD signal can be used to detect when the output supply is valid, using the PWGIN pin to accurately monitor the output.
The 12-bit ADC can measure the current in the sense resistor, the supply voltage on the HS+ pin, the output voltage, and the temperature at the external NPN device. A PMBus interface allows a controller to read data from the ADC. As many as 16 unique I2C addresses can be selected, depending on how the two ADRx pins are connected.
The ADM1278 is available in a 32-lead LFCSP with a RETRY pin that can be configured for automatic retry or latch-off when an overcurrent fault occurs.
- Power monitoring and control/power budgeting
- Central office equipment
- Telecommunication and data communication equipment
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADM1278EBZ is a compact full feature evaluation board for the ADM1278. The board layout gives users a clear visual of all the peripheral components and the hot swap power path. The layout also maximizes the board’s ability to dissipate heat for some of the key components on the power path, allowing the evaluation of very high current hot swap setups.
Four sense-resistor slots and six multipackage FET slots give users great flexibility and allow a wide range of application setups.
Multiple test points allow easy access to all critical points/pins. Seven LEDs give users direct visual indication on variations in the board status, such as supply input, output, IC power good output, fault output, current sense output, and GPO outputs. An AD7291 8-channel, I2C, 12-bit SAR ADC allows users to measure voltage such as CSOUT and other pin voltages as well as to read ambient board temperature through an I2C bus in real time.
The kit supports I2C communication, allowing users to communicate with the ADM1278. The evaluation kit also supports cascade setup so multiple evaluation boards can be connected together and share the same I2C bus.
The standard evaluation kit is prepopulated and tested with a 12 V, 73A hot swap design capable of working with a 3 mF output capacitor.
Complete specifications for the ADM1278 are available in the ADM1278 data sheet from Analog Devices and should be consulted in conjunction with this user guide when using the evaluation boards.
- EVAL-ADM1278EBZ evaluation board
Additional Hardware Needed
- Serial I/O interface USB-SDP-CABLEZ (not included in the evaluation kit and should be ordered separately)
- Only one dongle is required in multiboard cascade setup
- Analog Devices, Inc., hot swap and power monitoring evaluation software
Features & Benefits
- Fully functional support evaluation kit for the ADM1278
- Populated and tested with 12 V, 73 A, 3 mF design
- Special N-MOSFET footprint suits different packages
- Supports up to four sense resistors in parallel
- Supports up to six FETs in parallel
- LED indicated status outputs
- Wide input voltage range of up to 20 V
- FET temperature measurement capability
- Supports cascade setup for multiple boards
- Toggle and push-button switch for easy input control
- PMBus communication supported
Software & Systems Requirements
Hot-Swap & Power Monitoring Evaluation Software
ADMxxxx Common Run-Time
Tools & Simulations
Hot-Swap & Power Monitoring Evaluation Software
Requires the ADMxxxx Common Run-time v3.0 to be installed in order to provide driver support for the USB-SMBUS-CABLEZ and USB-SDP-CABLEZ interface connectors.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.