8-Channel PMBus Power System Manager Featuring Accurate Output Voltage Measurement
Features and Benefits
- Sequence, Trim, Margin and Supervise Eight Power Supplies
- Manage Faults, Monitor Telemetry and Create Fault Logs
- PMBus Compliant Command Set
- Supported by LTpowerPlay™ GUI
- Margin or Trim Supplies to 0.25% Accuracy
- Fast OV/UV Supervisors per Channel
- Coordinate Sequencing and Fault Management Across Multiple Chips
- Automatic Fault Logging to Internal EEPROM
- Operate Autonomously without Additional Software
- Internal Temperature and Input Voltage Supervisors
- Accurate Monitoring of Eight Output Voltages, Input Voltage and Internal Die Temperature
- I2C/SMBus Serial Interface
- Can Be Powered from 3.3V, or 4.5V to 15V
- Programmable Watchdog Timer
- 100% Compatible with the LTC2978
- Available in 64-pin 9mm × 9mm QFN Package
The LTC2978A is an 8-channel Power System Manager used to sequence, trim (servo), margin, supervise, manage faults, provide telemetry and create fault logs. PMBus commands support power supply sequencing, precision point-of-load voltage adjustment and margining. DACs use a proprietary soft-connect algorithm to minimize supply disturbances. Supervisory functions include overvoltage and undervoltage threshold limits for eight power supply output channels and one power supply input channel, as well as over and under temperature limits. Programmable fault responses can disable the power supplies with optional retry after a fault is detected. Faults that disable a power supply can automatically trigger black box EEPROM storage of fault status and associated telemetry. An internal 16-bit ADC monitors eight output voltages, one input voltage, and die temperature. In addition, odd numbered channels can be configured to measure the voltage across a current sense resistor. A programmable watchdog timer monitors microprocessor activity for a stalled condition and resets the microprocessor if necessary. A single wire bus synchronizes power supplies across multiple LTC power system management devices. Configuration EEPROM supports autonomous operation without additional software.
- Computers and Network Servers
- Industrial Test and Measurement
- High Reliability Systems
- Medical Imaging
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The DC1508B programming board contains the circuitry needed to program and verify the EEPROM of the LTC2974, LTC2975, LTC2977, LTC2978, and LTC2978A. This is its sole purpose. The DC1508B is shipped with a clamshell style programming socket installed. The EEPROM contains the factory default configuration. The LTpowerPlay™ *.proj file that corresponds to the factory default can be found in the GUI.
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.