8-Channel PMBus Power System Manager Featuring Accurate Output Voltage Measurement
Features and Benefits
- I2C/SMBus Serial Interface
- PMBus Compliant Command Set
- Configuration EEPROM with CRC
- Black Box Fault Logging to Internal EEPROM
- Differential Input, 16-Bit ΔΣ ADC with Less Than ±0.25% of Total Unadjusted Error
- Eight Voltage Servos Precisely Adjust Output Voltages Using Eight 10-Bit DACs with Soft-Connect
- Monitors Eight Output Voltages and One Input Voltage and Internal Die Temperature
- 8-Channel Sequencer
- Programmable Watchdog Timer
- Eight UV/OV VOUT and One VIN Supervisor
- Supports Multi-Channel Fault Management
- Operates Autonomously without Additional Software
- LTC2978 Can Be Powered from 3.3V or 4.5V to 15V
- Available in 64-pin 9mm × 9mm QFN package
- LTpowerPlay Configuration and Development Tool
The LTC2978 is an octal, digital power-supply monitor, supervisor, sequencer, and margin controller. Eight output channels can be managed per user defined configuration settings. Supervisory functions include fault OV/UV threshold limits for eight output channels and one input channel. Programmable fault dependencies and responses allow the power supplies to be disabled with optional retry after a fault has been detected. Serial bus telemetry allows eight output voltages, one input voltage, die temperature and fault status to be monitored. In addition, odd numbered channels can be configured to measure the voltage across a current sense resistor. Power supply sequencing, precision point-of-load voltage adjustment and margining are supported with PMBus commands. A programmable watchdog timer monitors microprocessor activity for a stalled condition and resets the microprocessor if necessary. The 1-wire synchronization bus supports power supply sequencing across multiple LTC digital power devices. User programmable parameters can be stored in EEPROM. Faults and telemetry data can be logged to EEPROM for diagnostic analysis.
- Network Servers
- Industrial Test and Measurement
- High Reliability Systems
- Medical Imaging
Product Lifecycle Not Recommended for New Designs
This designates products ADI does not recommend broadly for new designs.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The DC1508B programming board contains the circuitry needed to program and verify the EEPROM of the LTC2974, LTC2975, LTC2977, LTC2978, and LTC2978A. This is its sole purpose. The DC1508B is shipped with a clamshell style programming socket installed. The EEPROM contains the factory default configuration. The LTpowerPlay™ *.proj file that corresponds to the factory default can be found in the GUI.
Press Release (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.