New Content (1)
Application NotesAN-171: Reverse Voltage Protection for Battery Chargers
Features and Benefits
- Complete Standalone Linear Charger Controller for 1-Cell Lithium-Ion Batteries
- Thermistor Interface for Battery Temperature Sensing
- Preset Charge Voltage with ±1% Accuracy
- Programmable Charge Current
- C/10 Charge Current Detection Output
- Programmable Charge Termination Timer
- Input Supply (Wall Adapter) Detection Output
- 4.5V to 10V Input Voltage Range
- Automatic Sleep Mode When Input Supply is Removed (Only 5µA Battery Drain)
- Automatic Trickle Charging of Low Voltage Cells
- Automatic Battery Recharge
- Battery Insertion Detection
- Space Saving 10-Pin MSOP Package
The LTC4050-4.1/LTC4050-4.2 are complete standalone constant-current/constant-voltage linear charge controllers for lithium-ion (Li-Ion) batteries. Charge current is programmable and final float voltage has ±1% accuracy.
When the input supply is removed, the LTC4050 automatically enters a low quiescent current sleep mode, dropping the battery drain current to 5µA. An internal comparator detects the near-end-of-charge (C/10) condition while a programmable timer, using an external capacitor, sets the total charge time. Fully discharged cells are automatically trickle charged at 10% of the programmed current until cell voltage exceeds 2.49V. The thermistor interface suspends charging if the cell temperature is outside of a 0°C to 50°C temperature window.
The LTC4050 begins a new charge cycle when a discharged battery is connected to the charger or when the input power is applied. In addition, a new charge cycle is automatically started if the battery remains connected to the charger and the cell voltage drops below 3.88V for 4.1V cells or below 3.98V for 4.2V cells.
The LTC4050 is available in the 10-pin MSOP package.
- Cellular Phones
- Handheld Computers
- Charging Docks and Cradles
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (2)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.