New Content (1)
Application NotesAN-171: Reverse Voltage Protection for Battery Chargers
Features and Benefits
- Complete Dual-Battery Charger/Selector System
- Serial SPI Interface Allows External µC Control and Monitoring
- Simultaneous Dual-Battery Discharge Extends Run Time by Typically 10%
- Simultaneous Dual-Battery Charging Reduces Charging Time by Up to 50%
- Automatic PowerPathTM Switching in <10µs Prevents Power Interruption
- Circuit Breaker Protects Against Overcurrent Faults
- 5% Accurate Adapter Current Limit Maximizes Charging Rate
- 95% Efficient Synchronous Buck Charger
- Charger Has Low 0.5V Dropout Voltage
- No Audible Noise Generation, Even with Ceramic Capacitors
- 11-Bit VDAC Delivers 0.8% Voltage Accuracy
- 10-Bit IDAC Delivers 5% Current Accuracy
- VIN Up to 32V; VBATT Up to 28V
- Available in 5mm × 7mm 38-Pin QFN and 36-Pin Narrow SSOP Packages
The LTC1960 is a highly-integrated battery charger and selector intended for portable products using dual smart batteries. A serial SPI interface allows an external microcontroller to control and monitor status of both batteries.
A proprietary PowerPath architecture supports simultaneous charging or discharging of both batteries. Typical battery run times are extended by 10%, while charging times are reduced by up to 50%. The LTC1960 automatically switches between power sources in less than 10µs to prevent power interruption upon battery or wall adapter removal.
The synchronous buck battery charger delivers 95% efficiency with only 0.5V dropout voltage, and prevents audible noise in all operating modes. Patented* input current limiting with 5% accuracy charges batteries in the shortest possible time without overloading the wall adapter.
The LTC1960’s 5mm × 7mm 38-pin QFN and 36-pin narrow SSOP packages allow implementation of a complete SBS-compliant dual battery system while consuming minimum PCB area.
- Portable Computers
- Portable Instruments
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.