Features and Benefits
- Isolated, RS-485/RS-422 transceiver, configurable as half- or full-duplex
- ±8 kV ESD protection on RS-485 input/output pins
- 16 Mbps data rate
- Complies with ANSI TIA/EIA RS-485-A-1998 and ISO 8482: 1987(E)
- Suitable for 5 V or 3.3 V operation (VDD1)
- High common-mode transient immunity: >25 kV/µs
- Receiver has open-circuit, fail-safe design
- 32 nodes on the bus
- Thermal shutdown protection
- Safety and regulatory approvals
- UL recognition: 5000 V rms isolation voltage for 1 minute, per UL 1577
- VDE certificate of conformity
- DIN V VDE V 0884-10 (VDE V 0884-10): 2006-12
- Reinforced insulation, VIORM = 849 V peak
- See data sheet for additional features
The ADM2491E is an isolated data transceiver with ±8 kV ESD protection and is suitable for high speed, half- or full-duplex communication on multipoint transmission lines. For half-duplex operation, the transmitter outputs and the receiver inputs share the same transmission line. Transmitter output Pin Y is linked externally to receiver input Pin A, and transmitter output Pin Z to receiver input Pin B.
The ADM2491E is designed for balanced transmission lines and complies with ANSI TIA/EIA RS-485-A-1998 and ISO 8482: 1987(E). The device employs Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology to combine a 3-channel isolator, a threestate differential line driver, and a differential input receiver into a single package
The differential transmitter outputs and receiver inputs feature electrostatic discharge circuitry that provides protection to ±8 kV using the human body model (HBM). The logic side of the device can be powered with either a 5 V or a 3.3 V supply, whereas the bus side requires an isolated 5 V supply.
The device has current-limiting and thermal shutdown features to protect against output short circuits and situations where bus contention could cause excessive power dissipation.
The ADM2491E is available in a wide body, 16-lead SOIC package and operates over the −40°C to +85°C temperature range.
- Isolated RS-485/RS-422 interfaces
- Industrial field networks
- Multipoint data transmission systems
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADM2491EEBZ allows the isolated ADM2491E RS-485 transceiver to be easily and quickly evaluated. The evaluation board allows all of the input and output functions to be exercised without the need for external components.
The ADM2491E differential bus transceiver is an integrated, galvanically isolated component designed for bidirectional data communication on multipoint bus transmission lines.
The device employs Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology to combine a 3-channel isolator, a three-state differential line driver, and a differential input receiver into a single package. The logic side of the device is powered with either a 5 V or a 3.3 V supply, and the bus side uses an isolated 5 V supply.
Features & Benefits
- Configurable as half/full duplex, isolated RS-485/RS-422 transceivers
- Suitable for 5 V or 3.3 V operation on VDD1
- Suitable for 5 V operation on VDD2
- 16 Mbps data rate
- 32 nodes on bus
Safety and Regulatory Compliance (1)
Product Selection Guide (2)
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures (2)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.