2.5 kV Signal Isolated, High Speed (20 Mbps), Half Duplex RS-485 Transceiver
The ADM2486 differential bus transceiver is an integrated, galvanically isolated component designed for bidirectional data communication on multipoint bus transmission lines. It is designed for balanced transmission lines and complies with ANSI EIA/TIA-485-A and ISO 8482: 1987(E).
The device employs Analog Devices iCoupler® technology to combine a 3-channel isolator, a three-state differential line driver, and a differential input receiver into a single package. The logic side of the device is powered with either a 5 V or a 3 V supply, and the bus side uses an isolated 5 V supply.
The ADM2486 driver has an active-high enable feature. The driver differential outputs and the receiver differential inputs are connected internally to form a differential input/output port that imposes minimal loading on the bus when the driver is disabled or when VDD1 or VDD2 = 0 V. Also provided is an active-high receiver disable feature that causes the receive output to enter a high impedance state.
The device has current-limiting and thermal shutdown features to protect against output short circuits and situations where bus contention may cause excessive power dissipation. The part is fully specified over the industrial temperature range and is available in a 16-lead, wide body SOIC package.
- Isolated RS-485/RS-422 interfaces
- PROFIBUS networks
- Industrial field networks
- Multipoint data transmission systems
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
The device employs Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology to combine a 3-channel isolator, a three-state differential line driver, and a differential input receiver into a single package. The logic side of the device is powered with either a 5 V or a 3 V supply, and the bus side uses an isolated 5 V supply.
Two motors can be driven at the same time, each motor having its separate power supply. The system incorporates high quality power sources; reliable power, control, and feedback signals isolation; accurate measurement of motor current & voltage signals; high speed interfaces for control signals to allow fast controller response; industrial Ethernet high speed interfaces; single ended Hall, differential Hall, encoder and resolver interfaces; digital position sensors interface; flexible control with a FPGA/SoC interface.
The kit consists of two boards: a controller board and a drive board. An optional AD-DYNO2-EBZ dynamometer can also be purchased through Avnet and is intended to be an extension of the drive system.
- Digital board for interfacing with the low and high voltage drive boards
- Compatible with all Xilinx FPGA platforms with FMC LPC or HPC connectors
- FMC signals voltage adaptation interface for seamless operation on all FMC voltage levels
- Fully isolated digital control and feedback signals
- Isolated Xilinx XADC interface
- 2 x Gbit Ethernet PHYs for high speed industrial communication, with 3rd party EtherCAT support
- Single ended Hall, Differential Hall, Encoder, Resolver interfaces
- Digital sensors interfaces
- BISS Interface
- Drives motors up to 48V @ 20A
- Drives 2 motors simultaneously
- High frequency drive stage implemented with ADI isolated gate drivers
- Supported motor types
Stepper (bipolar / unipolar)
- Integrated over current protection
- Reverse voltage protection
- Current and Voltage measurement using isolated ADCs
- BEMF zero cross detection for sensorless control of PMSM or BLDC motors
- Separate voltage supplies for the 2 motors so that the motors don't influence each other
Dynamometer System with Embedded Control
- Two BLDC motors connected by a rigid couple in a dyno setup, which can be used to test real-time motor control performance.
- One BLDC motor acts as an electronically adjustable load and is driven by the embedded control system. This motor can be directly connected to the FMC motor drive to get complex / active loads. The load can be driven also by the AD-FMCMOTCON2-EBZ to implement dynamic load profiles.
- The other BLDC motor is driven by the FMC motor drive.
- Measurement and display of load motor current
- Measurement and display of load motor speed
- External control using Analog Discovery and MathWorks Instrumentation Control Toolbox
Example reference designs showing how to use the platform with Xilinx® FPGAs or SoCs and high performance control algorithms from Mathworks® are provided together with the hardware. Information on the FMC board, and how to use it, the design package that surrounds it, and the software which can make it work, can be found by clicking the software link.
Safety and Regulatory Compliance
Safety and Regulatory Compliance Information
The iCoupler® family of digital isolation products have been tested and approved by various regulatory agencies,...
Product Selection Guide
Digital Isolator Product Selection and Resource Guide
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures
Emerging Energy Applications Solutions Bulletin, Volume 10, Issue 4
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures
Test & Instrumentation Solutions Bulletin, Volume 10, Issue 3
High-Performance Multichannel Power-Line Monitoring with...
By Colm Slattery, Analog Devices, Inc. (Analog Dialogue, Vol. 41, January 2007)
Cross Reference Guides
RS-232 Transceivers Cross Reference Guide
Cross Reference Guides
ADI RS-485/RS-422 Cross Reference Guide
MS-2127: Designing with iCoupler Digital Isolators in Solar PV Inverters
Inside iCoupler® Technology:ADuM347x PWM Controller and Transformer Driver with
By Flow Zhao, Design Engineer
NAppkin Note: Lowering the Power of the ADuM524x
By Mark Cantrell, Senior Applications Engineer
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Didn't find what you were looking for?
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.