Features and Benefits
- 8.0 GHz bandwidth
- 3.2 V to 3.6 V power supply
- Separate charge pump supply (VP) allows extended tuning voltage in 3.3 V systems
- Programmable, dual-modulus prescaler 8/9, 16/17, 32/33, or 64/65
- Programmable charge pump currents
- Programmable antibacklash pulse width
- 3-wire serial interface
- Analog and digital lock detect
- Hardware and software power-down mode
- Loop filter design possible with ADIsimPLL
- 4 mm × 4 mm, 20-lead chip scale package
The ADF4108 frequency synthesizer can be used to implement local oscillators in the up-conversion and down-conversion sections of wireless receivers and transmitters. It consists of a low-noise digital PFD (phase frequency detector), a precision charge pump, a programmable reference divider, programmable A and B counters, and a dual-modulus prescaler (P/P + 1). The A (6-bit) and B (13-bit) counters, in conjunction with the dual-modulus prescaler (P/P + 1), implement an N divider (N = BP + A). In addition, the 14-bit reference counter (R counter), allows selectable REFIN frequencies at the PFD input. A complete PLL (phase-locked loop) can be implemented if the synthesizer is used with an external loop filter and VCO (voltage controlled oscillator). Its very high bandwidth (8GHz) means that frequency doublers or prescalers can be eliminated in many high frequency systems, simplifying system architecture and reducing cost.
- Broadband wireless access
- Satellite systems
- Wireless LANs
- Base stations for wireless radio
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EV-ADF4108EB1Z evaluation board allows the user to evaluate the performance of the ADF4108 frequency synthesizer for phase-locked loops (PLLs). The board contains the ADF4108 synthesizer, an SMA connector for the reference input, the power supplies, a USB interface, and the RF outputs. There is also an active loop filter and a VCO on board. The user has the option of using an alternate loop filter and VCO by connecting the board to the following SMA connectors: VTUNE and CPOUT. The evaluation kit contains software that is compatible with Windows® XP and more recent versions to allow easy programming of the synthesizer.
The USB interface allows software programming of the ADF4108 device. A USB cable is included in the evaluation board kit to allow software programmability.
Features & Benefits
- Self-contained board for generating RF frequencies
- Contains the ADF4108—an 8 GHz frequency synthesizer IC
- Accompanying software allows complete control of synthesizer functions from a PC
Tools & Simulations
ADIsimPLL enables the rapid and reliable evaluation of new high performance PLL products from ADI. It is the most comprehensive PLL Synthesizer design and simulation tool available today. Simulations performed include all key non-linear effects that are significant in affecting PLL performance. ADIsimPLL removes at least one iteration from the design process, thereby speeding the design- to-market.
ADIsimRF is an easy-to-use RF signal chain calculator. Cascaded gain, noise, distortion and power consumption can be calculated, plotted and exported for signal chains with up to 50 stages. ADIsimRF also includes an extensive data base of device models for ADI’s RF and mixed signal components.
ADF4108 Companion Parts
Recommended Linear Regulators
- For ultalow noise, 3V applications, 200mA output: ADP151.
- For ultralow noise, 3V applications,150mA output: ADP150.
- For high accuracy, 5V applications: ADP3334.
- For a step up, 3V to 5V regulator: ADP1613.
Recommended Divide-by-4 Prescaler
- For a low noise, low power, fixed RF block: ADF5001.
Recommended PLL Active Filter
- For an ultralow noise, rail-to-rail amplifier: OP184.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.