Differential/Single-Ended Input, Dual, Simultaneous Sampling, 2 MSPS, 12-Bit, 3-Channel SAR A/D Converter
The AD7266 is a dual, 12-bit, high speed, low power, successive approximation ADC that operates from a single 2.7 V to 5.25 V power supply and features throughput rates up to 2 MSPS. The device contains two ADCs, each preceded by a 3-channel multiplexer, and a low noise, wide bandwidth track-and-hold amplifier that can handle input frequencies in excess of 30 MHz.
The conversion process and data acquisition use standard control inputs allowing easy interfacing to microprocessors or DSPs. The input signal is sampled on the falling edge of CS; conversion is also initiated at this point. The conversion time is determined by the SCLK frequency. There are no pipelined delays associated with the part.
The AD7266 uses advanced design techniques to achieve very low power dissipation at high throughput rates. With 5 V supplies and a 2 MSPS throughput rate, the part consumes 6.2 mA maximum. The part also offers flexible power/throughput rate management when operating in normal mode as the quiescent current consumption is so low.
The analog input range for the part can be selected to be a 0 V to VREF (or 2 × VREF) range, with either straight binary or twos complement output coding. The AD7266 has an on-chip 2.5 V reference that can be overdriven when an external reference is preferred. This external reference range is 100 mV to VDD.
- Two Complete ADC Functions Allow Simultaneous Sampling and Conversion of Two Channels. Each ADC has three fully/pseudo differential pairs, or six single-ended channels, as programmed. The conversion result of both channels is simultaneously available on separate data lines, or in succession on one data line if only one serial port is available.
- High Throughput with Low Power Consumption. The AD7266 offers a 1.5 MSPS throughput rate with 11.4 mW maximum power dissipation when operating at 3 V.
- The AD7266 offers both a standard 0 V to VREF input range and a 2 × V input range.
- No Pipeline Delay. The part features two standard successive approximation ADCs with accurate control of the sampling instant via a CS input and once off conversion control.
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
The EVAL-AD7266EDZ is a fully featured evaluation Kit for the AD7266. This board operates in stand alone mode or in conjunction with the Converter Evaluation and Development board, EVAL-CED1Z . When operated with the Converter Evaluation and Development board, software is provided enabling the user to perform detailed analysis of the ADC's performance. This software includes the technical note describing the operation and set up of the evaluation board in standalone operation or when operated with the Converter Evaluation and Development board.
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
- For precision, low power, low distortion applications , we recommend the ADA4841-1 or the ADA4932-1 .
- For high frequency, low noise, low distortion applications , we recommend the AD8022, ADA4897-1 or the ADA4899-1 .
- For low frequency, precision, low bias current , we recommend the ADA4627-1, ADA4000-2 or the ADA4610-2 .
Recommended External Voltage References - 2.5V
Product Selection Guide
SAR ADC & Driver Quick-Match Guide
Find drivers for ADI's most popular single-ended and differential SAR ADCs based on your specific application...
MS-1779: Nine Often Overlooked ADC Specifications
Analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) have many specifications; some are more important for a given application than...
Designing Power Supplies for High Speed ADC
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.